07 January 2010

You are here...

South Texas is on full alert. Seems like we have a nasty visitor headed our way today and our temperatures are forecasted to hit the mid 20s for the next few days. Mid 20s you say? I can already hear Terri up north (in her parka and fur-lined boots) thinking “pffttt”. Those hardy Minnesotans are scoffing at our cooler temps. I’m even sure that Abby would consider 25 degrees good running weather. But ya’ll should remember that down here on the Texas coastal plains, we rarely get below 32 degrees for any period of time. Anything south of 30 for more than a few days has people literally going bat shit crazy (to quote one of my favorite bloggers). The last time it got that cold for an extended period of time was back in January 1990. I remember that time because I was moving back to Houston around that time and about 1/4 of the houses I looked at had some freeze/pipe damage. Most of the homes down here were build with heat and air conditioning in mind and the pipes run through the attics. Not a lot of insulation for cold weather unless you have added it yourself. Newer homes are a bit better insulated, but old ones like mine are susceptible to freezing weather. Of course the new channels are projecting all sorts of doom & gloom. Protect your pipes, plants, & pets.

Now, given the crappy weather projections, where might you thing I should be? On the road of course. I am sitting in Phoenix, Arizona on aonther supplier audit. We have a lot on the books this year (24 and counting) but I don’t have to do all of them. Weather is a bit nicer in Phoenix .

And junior is off in California right now. He is attending the BCS bowl game in Pasadena tonight along with the rest of the rabid fans. Look for him in the stadium. He’ll be the one wearing orange. Actually, he scored a slot to hold up the gianormus Texas flag on the field before kickoff, so that's his chance to be on the field. A friend of ours has TIVO and spotted him for a brief moment holding the flag and posted his picture on facebook. In spite of the way the Horns are playing right now, for him, this is a trip of a life time. For momma, more gray hairs worrying about her son wandering around LA.

3 comments:

terri said...

I won't scoff at your temps. Like I said, it's all relative to what you're used to. And besides, this crazy weather across the country is making it hard for me to even imagine escaping to a warmer state. They're ALL cold right now. And it IS driving me batshit crazy. I'm working hard at achieving hibernation.

meleah rebeccah said...

I consider any temperatures below 32 degrees a crime!

And, I think whenever any state reaches those temps it should automatically become 'Stay At Home In Bed And Under The Cozy Covers' Day.

Abby said...

Texas in the 20's. There's just something wrong with that. But you're right, that's not even eyelash freezing weather yet.