09 January 2010

Pot O' Gold

Did I ever mention how fanatical the group we got Grayson from was?

These guys are absolutely over the top when it comes to resucing Golden Retrievers and finding homes for them. They will scour the state for any and all possible goldens and bring them back to Houston to have them vetted and placed in foster homes (They've even gone as far as California to arrange for a dog's relocation). One of their guiding principles is that they want to get dogs into homes and out of shelters. Many of the volunteers will foster 1 or 2 dogs during their transition until they can find a "forever home". This weekend, one of the group came across a guy selling 8 purebred puppies in a Walmart parking lot and talked the guy out of all of them. Now we are scrambling to find homes for all 8. General concensus is that these little guys & gals will not last long.


We've had Grayson for about 9 months and I think he's about decided to keep us. We are pondering fostering a second dog to help the group place dogs in a good home and give Grayson chance to work on his social skills. Still early in the process but we are getting close to taking on a second (but temporary) boarder. As if life was not complicated enough already...

Deja moo: The feeling you've heard this bull before.

5 comments:

Abby said...

Eight purebred goldens being hocked at Wal-mart?! Geesh.

Dog foster parents. Good people in my book!

meleah rebeccah said...

OMG. Those puppies are CRAZY cute. I wish I could adopt one. I hope they find "forever homes" soon!

terri said...

Fostering... Great idea! I'm starting to wear down Mark's resolve. The other night I brought up the "new dog" topic again. He asked what I would say if he said, "It's either me or a dog."

I said, "See ya!"

Rock Chef said...

I want one!

Jay G said...

Okay, you want to know how cute those puppies are?

*I* want one. And I'm allergic to dogs...