16 January 2010

Slave to technology

I has a blackberry, I has a cell phone.
Everywhere I go, they are sure to follow.

I dimly recall those halcyon days of my youth where I could jump in the car and head off to college with only a map and my clothes. No means of electronic communication. No GPS. No PDAs. Zip. Nada. Nowadays, I am in constant contact 24/7. Whether is is driving to work or flying out to Nevada, my electronic leashes are close by. I try not to become totally dependant on them, but some people at work expect me to be in constant contact. I have a boss (bless his heart) that will e-mail me throughout the day and expect an almost instantaneous response. Typically, if I am in an interview or meeting with an employee or conducting an audit, I will ignore my blackberry, much to my boss' chagrin. The other day, I was doing a mentor session with one of my buyers and my boss sent a query about some minor training issue. After about 5 minutes later I got a second message if I got the first message (??).



I thought all of this advancement in technology was suppposed to make life better?
Although my bb does have a rad GPS/Map program that practically negates the need for a TomTom...

2 comments:

terri said...

I love the fact that all this technology keeps my kids in my "sights" at all times. And I hate the fact that it keeps me in theirs at all times too.

You may be right. There may be such a thing as too much advancement in technology.

meleah rebeccah said...

I do love ALL of my electronic leashes [as you so eloquently stated] and like Terri said because I can always be in touch with the people that matter the most ; read -my son!

But, I think it would drive me completely NUTS to have a boss [or even friends] email / text me constantly. And if I didn't answer them - immediately resend emails / texts until I did answer them!