26 January 2010

Never a dull moment

So far, so good. Claire is fitting in well with the family and settling in.
Grayson is starting to settle down a bit. Wasn't sure how to take this interloper in his domain, but they have gotten along nicely. No fights, no conflicts, no drama. Claire is a much older, calmer dog than Gray. I think he is still a puppy at heart and having a second dog to pal around with has brought out more of the puppy lately.

I have taken to walking them together and, surprisingly, they do very well. Of course, at the outset, it is like being pulled by a pair of draft horses, but eventually they calm down and hold a good pace. They tend to walk shoulder to shoulder and don't cross leads too much. Gray is more of a curb dog (walks through yards) while Claire is a street sweeper. Still to early to tell, but we have seen a bit more of her personality. We got Claire with the intent to foster her through her treatment and eventually place her in a permanent home, but, she is growing on us. Momma has already fallen for her quiet, calm demeanor. Given that strategy, we've already been contacted by the adoption coordinator for the group and there is a couple up in north Texas who are highly interested in adopting her. Sounds like she already has people who want to give her a good home. We agreed to keep her through her spaying and heartworm treatment, so it looks like she will be with us for a few months. Today is her first trip to the vet. Going to have her checked out and microchipped. If the doc thinks she's ready, will have her spayed today. Not sure, but we think she might be getting ready to go into heat. Once she recovers from that, then we will start the round of HW treatment. Poor girl. Hope it is not the long sessions and she is able to bounce back quickly.

Side note: She is a definite cuddler. I keep trying to bang out words on the keyboard and she is parked right under my right arm and keeps nudging me to rub her head. That works out fine until Grayson gets jealous and pops up on my left side and wants the same attention. Two hands, two dogs. Ever try to type with your feet?

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

She sounds so sweet. My dog does that nudging of the elbow - OK unless I am trying to paint toy soldiers at the time!

terri said...

She sounds like a sweetheart. I imagine it will be hard to give her up when the time comes.

My cats do that nudging thing when they want attention and feel that I am ignoring them.

meleah rebeccah said...

Wow. I don't know if I would be able to foster a dog that sweet, and treat her though spaying and heartworm issues only to give her away to another family! I would grow way too attached to her!