18 January 2010

Just one more mile

Put the dog out, pull up a chair, pour a glass of Chardonnay and sit back to read this diatribe. I tried to cut it short but failed miserably. Forgive my verbose saga.
------
Ok. Was too busy yesterday to write up an after action report on my 2nd Half Marathon.

After the run, I had to take care of a few weekend chores before heading out to dinner & show with parental units & my brother. Dinner was great at the Spaghetti Warehouse and the show was fantastic. I really enjoyed seeing A Chorus Line live and the actors/performers were great. As tired as I was last night, we had a great time.

A bit stiff today, but nothing like last year (thank god for Advil & Macallan). My knees are in good shape but I can feel it in my quads. I did train a little bit more than last year, but should have been running 4-5x per week to build up my endurance. I was able to maintain a good pace throughout the course, but started to loose steam around Mile 10-11. I was shooting for a sub 2:30 course and was happy to have shaved off 12 minutes from last year. Just think how much more I could have saved if I had actually gotten off my butt and hit the streets more. By my rough estimate, I was holding a sub 11:00 minute pace (not bad for an 52 year old fart).

Pre launch - Morning did not start out well. Up early to head downtown, but got sidetracked so I was slightly delayed past my departure time. Parking downtown near the convention hall can be a bitch, so I wanted to leave the house at 0500. When I was gathering up my gear and putting on my iPod armband, the clip broke off, so I had no way to carry my iPod (2 hours prior to start). Much cussing ensued. Was going with a back up plan (duct tape crossed my mind at that point) when I decided to jump in the truck and head up to Walmart to buy a new armband. Nothing like running through Walmart at 0515 trying to find some gear. Of course, since I have a 3rd generation iPod Nano (not in production any more), they did not have anything to match that size. Wound up using an off brand, generic carrier (that just messes up my plans) which just put me on edge. Driving up the freeway like a madman, I hit the downtown section around 0600 and immediately ran into a big traffic jam as a result of all of the Marathoners arriving. Took a good 10-15 minutes to finally get off the freeway and find a place to park that was almost 1/2 mile away from the hall. Temperature was ~42 degrees and I debated taking a light jacket and running pants along with all of the other gear/energy stuff. You can store your gear in the hall right before you start out, if you have the special marathon bag and this year I took advantage of that trick. I made it into the hall around 0645 just about the time the Marathoners were out on the start line. Had enough time to drop off my gear bag and head off to the start line for our wave start. I was worried about being too cold to start. Did not want to carry a jacket or pants only to have to peel them off by mile 1. I elected for shorts and a long sleeve shirt and used a stylish garbage bag as a wind break until the race started. Had throw away gloves I used for a good portion of the race, but took them off 1/2 through. A lot of people will toss aside their headbands, gloves, pants, jackets along the route while they are running. I don't know if they ever expect to see that gear again and I am too cheap to throw away my gear so I don't toss anything aside unless I don't want it back. I will note that, if you want to score some nice running accessories, just hang out along the roadside during the first 1-2 miles and you can score some really nice stuff (might need a little washing). Anyway, lined up at the start in the dark at 0655 with 15 minutes to spare before start. They funneled our wave onto one street aligned with barriers much like you would herd cattle into a feed truck. The place is so packed, I didn't really need the warmer gear. I downed my first gel pack of Chocolate Espresso energy goo (has the flavor and consistency of pudding). When the gun went off finally at 0708, the herd lumbered forward and it took a good 10 minutes before I finally crossed the start line.

Mile 1 - same route as last year. Head out east of town past the baseball stadium. Up onto the Elysian Viaduct for 3/4 miles as we cross over the Buffalo Bayou and into the Northside Village. Saw Elvis & little Elvis again this year. The first mile is more of a fight to stay upright and not get run over. It takes about a mile or two for everyone to find their pace and the pack to spread out. By the time we make the turn west to head into the Heights, people are all over the place. You've got the rabbits who are sprinting ahead, groups who are running 5 abreast, friends with matching shirts running together, people already walking, marathon pace teams, etc. The first mile is kinda like watching salmon swim upstream. Lots of jumping and dodging and jockeying for a position. And with the amount of clothing that gets tossed alongside of the road during the first two miles, you'd think there would be people running naked. This year I knew what to expect and had my pace down. Hate to run in a mob, so I moved to the outside and worked my way up. Had to dodge a few construction cones and hop a curb or two, but eventually, I was able to work my way out of the pack to find some open ground. Lots of cameras & media at the start.

Mile 2 - Doing better this year. Found my friend and ran with her for a mile before she slowed to a walk (her strategy was a combination of running a certain time and walking a certain time to conserve her energy). Pushed on to the next mile marker. Starting to warm up. Glad I did not wear jacket or running pants.

Mile 3 - Same neighborhood as last year. Running through some of the older areas of Houston. Lots of row houses and older businesses. If you like taquerias, this is the place to go. A few people are bundled up alongside the route cheering us on. So far, I am holding a good 10+ minute pace and the old legs are holding up well. Got the tunes cranked up and in the zone at this point.

Mile 4 - So far, so good. Still seeing lots of dogs along the route. Running through a residential area with lots of really nice (translation: $$$$) condos that overlook downtown (nice views). Spotted the same ginormous Saint Bernard from last year.

Mile 5 - Heading into the Heights. Still seeing a lot of smaller, older homes that are well maintained. This year I am able to notice more of my surroundings. At this point, the mind is on autopilot, with random thoughts popping up (I like that house, interesting yard art, wonder what traffic is like here). There have been a few groups/bands stationed at each mile point to encourage runners but, honestly, with my ear buds in and the tunes cranked up, I am in my own little world.


Mile 6 - Heading south back down to the freeway. Someone is handing out oranges/bananas along the route. Trying to find a better tune on the iPod (Beethoven just doesn't inspire me at this point). Tagged some Ray Wylie Hubbard that got me pumped and pushed on towards Montrose. At this point, we are starting to hit the hills again. Some ups & downs, but I keep pushing though. The engineer in me makes a mental note that I am 1/2 through at this stage. A little over 1 hour in and 6+ miles under my belt puts me close to a 10 minute mile pace. If I can keep pushing at this rate, I am already trying to estimate my finish time, but the second half is always were I lose steam. Popped my second shot of energy goo (Vanilla Bean) for a pick me up.


Mile 7 - Montrose. This the entertainment district where there is some really interesting night life. Running due south past some serious real estate. Lots of commerical establishments and great restaurants/bars. More than halfway done. The legs are doing well and I am not hurting as much as last year, but I am starting to slow down a bit. Try to throttle back the pace a bit to insure I have something for the end. Snagged a shot of vaseline from one of the roadside support crews (to prevent chafing). Trying to find some Nickleback or Staind to keep me motivated.

Mile 8 - A long stretch before the turnaround. At this point, the marathoners split off and continue on while we turn back to the start. It is kinda inspirational for us to make the turn as part of the group soldiers on. A cheer goes up from the spectators for both groups. Lots of side line encouragement. I pick up the pace for a while, inspired by the thought that we were headed home. Still 5 miles to go, but it doesn't seem as daunting. Mental note: when scoring food/nourishment from the sidelines, stay away from the bowl of animal crackers. Kinda like eating sawdust at this point.

Mile 9 - Heading back north to the last leg. We are doubling back on the route to head back home so we are covering the same ground. Legs are getting tired at this point but I am trying to keep the pace up. Whenever I start to fade and slow to a walk, I look at/touch my blue wrist band I wear as a reminder of my bout with prostate cancer and that serves as a mental kick in the ass. Another shot of energy goo at this point (margarita flavor).

Mile 10 - Starting to fade at this point. We make the turn onto Allen Parkway and are headed back into the downtown area. I am trying to hold my pace but my legs are starting to protest. At this point we are running alongside of the marathoners again. There is a bunch of hoopla around one runner who turns out to be the lead female runner coming in at the same time we are. Humbling to think she has run 24 miles in the same time we have run 11.

Mile 11 - Heading home. The road is smooth and easy. It is all up to me at this point. 2 miles to go and nothing to stop me aside of me. Legs/calves are tired but still solid. Have to run a while and walk a while but I am able to maintain a good pace. This stretch is probably one of the more scenic of the route. A straight shot east into downtown as the sun is coming up. Magnificent view. A few more energy bloks to keep me going. Trying to find a good tune to kick it up a notch. Somewhere along this stretch they take another picture. Bastards. Nothing like waiting until spot where you are all sweaty and worn out to take a picture for the world to see.

Mile 12 - So close I can taste it. Running into the downtown canyon at this point. Temps have been ok on the course, but down among the buildings with no sun, it feels colder. Streets are rough, hard. I guess the trail is starting to wear on me. The end is close, but I am still pushing to keep the pace.

Mile 13 - Home stretch. Make the right turn and head straight down 1/2 mile to the convention center. So close, but not yet there. I tried to kick it up a notch for the final stretch, but my left hamstring started to cramp up (the right one was trying to start something as well). I kept it loose and was able to make it across the finish line with a final push but pulled up limping afterwards. Walked it off for a while to see if I could feel my legs. Tired, sweaty, sore, but elated to be done for a second time.

Post run - Picture taken, picked up another medal, got breakfast. Tired, but felt good. I know was questioning my sanity prior to this run, but I felt good about the run and my results. God help me, but I am leaning towards signing up again in July when they open registration. I'd prefer to stay home in bed, but I figured that, as long as I am able to do this, I should make the effort. Life's too short to spend it on the sidelines.

5 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

You ran 13 miles? Good Lord! I cant run up a flight of stairs! You are AMAZING!

Im glad you had a great night with dinner and the theater, but how could you possibly have a BAD TIME with good company and A Chorus Line!!

meleah rebeccah said...

PS:

"I tried to kick it up a notch for the final stretch, but my left hamstring started to cramp up (the right one was trying to start something as well)."


Yeah, I think my BOTH of my hamstrings cramped up just READING this!

What a terrific read, and NO it was NOT too long of a blog post! Not.At.All.

terri said...

Okay, now I just feel like a total slug in comparison. The extent of my work out tonight was to go to Sports Authority and buy some new work out clothes. Then I came home, put some comfy clothes on and parked my butt in the recliner.

You are impressive!

meleah rebeccah said...

LOL @ Terri!

Abby said...

Okay, I admit it. I hit the wall at about "pre launch". I'll read it in shifts!