27 January 2010

Don't sweat the little stuff

A little background: I work at the same office as my nephew. He started here first and I got a chance to come on board about 1.5 years later. Totally different departments/areas, but we see each other every day. I am always quizzed by my family on how he is doing, but I have that Vegas rule: "What happens at the office, stays at the office". He is 30 and just got married two years ago to a young engineer who worked here for a few years. She's from Puerto Rico and they got married down there ergo my road trip two & a half years back to the island (that's another story). Those two were head over heals in love and, at the wedding reception, we were placing bets on when offspring might appear.

Fast forward to today and my nephew just posted his "out of office notice" so he will be off for the next three weeks as he and his wife are going to celebrate the arrival of their new daughter. Momma is way preggers (due Sunday) but the doc decided to induce tomorrow, so we have a birthday, just waiting arrival of VIP. They are heading off to hospital in morning for the most expensive, scariest, life changing, awesome event of their young lives. I clearly recall 22+ years ago the night before we were supposed to deliver how scared/excited/nervous we were. Total terror/panic/euphoria and, after tomorrow, nothing will be same.

As I sit hear dealing with my daily headaches and complaints, this blessed event makes one stop and appreciate how short/unique life is. My day-to-day problems pale in comparison to what they are about to experience. It helps put life in perspective and keep me humble.

Good luck Greg & Jasmine and I know that she will be the light of your lives.

Life's short, dance like there is no tomorrow.

3 comments:

terri said...

It's been almost 22 years since my first baby arrived and I remember those days as the most precious of our lives. Congratulations to your nephew and his wife!

Rock Chef said...

Our oldest would have been 23 this summer. It was a day that changed us both for ever - anyone who thinks they can become a parent and not change is either deluded or an asshole.

Wishing them the best - they are in for one hell of a ride.

meleah rebeccah said...

"As I sit hear dealing with my daily headaches and complaints, this blessed event makes one stop and appreciate how short/unique life is. My day-to-day problems pale in comparison to what they are about to experience. It helps put life in perspective and keep me humble. "

Best. Paragraph. Ever.

Congratulations to your nephew and his wife!