16 March 2009

Weekend road trip

We've been on the road again for a short hop to Austin. We drove up Saturday for a short visit with junior over the weekend. He's doing well and will be home later this week for spring break but we wanted to see him and see the apartments he is looking at for next semester. One is an older (circa 1980) complex just a few blocks away from campus in a residential neighborhood. Not much to look at but is is a nice unit with decent space and covered parking. It has a balcony but there is a brand new parking garage just completed right next door so the view is of a giant concrete wall. One downside is the lease is for 12 months and he would have to sublet the place during the summer. The other unit is in an older building a few blocks to the south that overlooks the campus. At one time, I think this one was a nursing home but has been bought out as condos and had some rennovations. The unit is on the top floor with a very nice view and the inside has been recently rennovated with some really nice hardwood floors/appliances. The parking may be a challenge as it is only for one car. But this can be leased for 9-10 months. They both have pros & cons but are are nice options that are really close to campus. I have my preferences, but it is really up to him.

Weather was cold & dreary for most of the weekend. We ate out at a Chuy's (popular Mexican place), but I think it is highly overrated. Way too noisy, the place was packed and we had to wait an hour to get a table. I am not sure if it was the margaritas or the beef or the cilantro, but I wound up with a major case of indigestion/heartburn Saturday night and that kept me up for most of the night. Was a bit better on Sunday for our drive back but will plan to stay away from spicy stuff for a while. There are lots of good places to eat around Austin. Rudy's BBQ is a run down place with crappy parking that has some killer BBQ. For Sunday lunch, we ate at Hut's Burgers (local burger joint downtown) that has a great atmosphere and some of the best burgers in Austin.

I am starting to close the books on the contest, but need everyone to submit their answers to my e-mail address. I think I made it too hard or too obscure for most of my audience.

2 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

I am glad you had a nice visit with Junior.

Too bad about the weather.

I love really good Mexican food, but I find that most chains like that are way over-rated.

terri said...

My son is on the hunt for housing for next year too. It seems most places require a 12 month contract.

I love mexican food (or more accurately, "mexican-american" food.) I love Chipotle but can't eat it. I get indigestion too.