02 February 2008

On the road...

to recovery (one day at a time).

My procedure/status have been the topic of a few e-mails last week and I wanted to pass along my two cents (ok, this is probably more like a quarter's worth)...

First of all, I was overwhelmed by everyone's comments, thoughts, & prayers for last week and have made it past the first step of the process. One week down, 2 to go.

I won't try to bore everyone with a rehash of my last note, but just to give a brief synopsis of the first week of my holiday: Signed into hospital early Tuesday (I think they have you go in early just so you won't have the time to wake up & reconsider). Prepped & off to surgery by 0730 (don't remember much after they stuck an epidural in me) and out by 1100 in recovery. Don't recall anything from the actual surgery but doc tells me it went great and there were no complications or signs that the cancer had migrated. Wound up in my room by noon where I spend most of the next two days trying to learn how sit up and live on a liquid diet. Fair amount of pain and discomfort, but it got better each day and was up walking by Wednesday afternoon. Discharged on Thursday to go home where I have been trying to rest & relax. Each day is getting better but I still have a ways to go before I can do any 10k runs. Still sore from the incision but the pain is less of a factor each day. Having to sport a catheter is definitely not my idea of fun, but a necessary evil. Had staples removed earlier this week and should be able to lose the catheter next week.

My wife noted that my acerbic sense of humor has returned (they did not remove that) and I was even trying to crack up the nurses in the hospital (valuable life lesson: Try not to piss off the people who control your medication or who wake you up at 0300 to take your temperature & BP). I have noted amongst my musing lately, I am labeling myself as "New & Improved (now Prostate Free!)". I would lay stake to the claim of being cancer free, but need to wait until the lab results come back next week. To answer the question that some have asked, no I do not need any follow up treatments (aside of normal follow up exams). The intent of this surgery was to eliminate the root cause and not have to apply any preventative actions.

General observations:
  1. The Methodist Hospital system has a very nice facility. Small, but very intensive & professional treatment of patients. IMHO, very customer oriented. They were very focused on my comfort and care.
  2. Take care of yourself - one of the factors that helped speed my recovery is my condition. Now, I don't mean to get preachy and I certainly do not consider myself any kind of athlete, but the intent of my exercise has been geared to keep me active and keep the weight down.
  3. Get regular check ups/exams. As I said in my last diatribe, this little condition I have had is treatable, if detected early enough. I know the exams are a bit intrusive and not something I did with a high amount of enthusiasm, but it definitely beats what I have been dealing with over the past few days and will keep you ahead of the curve.
  4. Friends are an asset you don't always realize/recognize you have until you face a crisis. I ahve been humbled by the response I have gotten from family, coworkers, and friends. I have actually heard from several people who I have not had any direct contact with for years. Not that is was great to be in this situation, but it was nice to know that there were a lot of people in my corner.

As I said earlier, I should be back in the saddle shortly being a general pain for most. The upside of this deal is that my liquor bill has dropped off and I may have lost a couple of pounds (try eating nothing but clear liquids for 5 straight days).

Once again, thank you very much for all of your thoughts & prayers.

"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like and do what you'd rather not." Mark Twain

No comments: