12 February 2008

Grateful

One of my favorite long-time bloggers (terri) recently posted her musing that we should all quit our bitchin (my translation) count our blessings.

To that I say, Amen, sister!

Been 0ne of my pet peeves on how people complain about problems in life and how things ain't fair, but I, for one, should have no complaints. Sure, I could whine about my recent round with prostate cancer and how I had to spend a couple days in the hospital and had to sport a catheter, but, in retrospect, if that is all I have to complain about, then I truely am a drama queen.

I got way too much in life to be complaining.
  1. I have my health (you cannot buy that). I know a few people who are younger than me and show the mileage a lot more.
  2. I have a family that loves (tolerates) me. My recent stent in the hospital garnered a lot of concern/prayers from my family. I am deeply touched and humbled by the level of concern and care I got while I was recovering and I am still trying to find a way to express my appreciation. My family, while sometimes appearing dysfunctional (we put the FUN in dysfunctional) is something I am proud to have.
  3. I have friends. A man (or woman) can live a long and prosperous life, but if you do not have friends, you lack a very important aspect. Friends are something that takes a while to form/develop and they can last a lifetime. I learned that recently when I heard from many people who I have not been in contact with for years.
  4. I am comfortable (financially). Ok, I am not the millionare I had envisioned back when I was in high school and I am still working on my first fortune. While I am not rolling in the money, we ain't lacking either. We our share of bills and a kid in college, but we are doing well and not really wanting for much (ok, I would like to buy an iPod). Again, there are people who have bigger problems that I so I am not one to complain.
  5. I have a loving wife. Sure we get on each other's nerves and we are sometimes short with each other, but we been together a looong time and I appreciate her. I just need to remember to tell (& show) her that more often.
  6. I have a great kid. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I always felt that a man should be able to pass on his knowledge/heratige through his children. My kid has grown up to be a man inspite of all of my input. He has earned his Eagle Scout award (something I did not achieve) and graduated from high school in the top of his class. He is attending an outstanding university (but not quite the one I had dreamed for) and is excelling in all areas. While he is working really hard spend my retirement, this is a minor issue. He has never given us any of the problems you might expect from a teenager out on his own with a car and girlfriend, and I am quite proud of him. I have high hopes for his future and expect him to surpass his old man in his achievements.
  7. I've been able to travel somewhat. As an member of the Army, I got to travel overseas and live in Germany (thanks, folks, for the ride!). I got to see more that most folk have seen and been able to enjoy it. I am proud of my service and glad to have had the opportunity to serve.

I have more blessings but think this is more than enough for now. Remember folks, when life is looking pretty lousy, try to recall the good times and thing how others might be. Thanks, Terri, for the subtle reminder to be happy with what you have!

It is easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission.

1 comment:

terri said...

This really put a smile on my face. It really drives home to me the fact that everyone has problems and life will always be far from perfect, but we're all essentially in the same boat. There is a lot to be happy about if we just open our eyes to it all, right? It's been a tough lesson for me to learn...and ongoing. Thanks for sharing your blessings too!