23 February 2008

Deposit to her EBA

Been over 30 days since I went under the knife and I'm feeling much better. I am still recuperating, but feeling stronger & more active every day. Everyone feels I should take it easy, but I am feeling great. I even got a mild ass chewing yesterday for trying to help move a big bag of groceries. Criminy, folks, it wasn’t that heavy.

Work in progress –my latest project is assembling a dining room table & chairs we just picked up this week. Now, we have an older set given to us by a friend 12+ years ago that has seen better days. Momma has had her eye on a particular set for many years and she has been saving money to eventually buy it one day. We were really waiting to finish up some of the renovations on the house and redo the landscaping, but this past weekend her dream set popped up in the paper at a local store at a ridiculous price. After some discussion (ok she did the talking, I did the listening), we agreed to get the chairs and check out the table. Besides, I figured I owed her big time for taking care of my while I convalesced from my surgery. Of course, nothing is ever as simple or easy as it appears. We headed off to the store on Sunday in search of the chairs and table. One store had a few chairs of the exact style we were looking for but no table. Another store had more chairs so off we go across town. While the second store had a few more chairs, they did not have arm chairs nor the table. After some further discussion, we decided to move on the chairs and try to see if the table was available. I picked up four chairs at the 2nd store and then drove like a dog after a squirrel back to the 1st store to get 2 more chairs. Still lacking the table and arm chairs. At this time, momma was willing to settle for the other chairs and table (similar wood/color, not same style) but I insisted to try and ferret out the matching set across south Texas. After many phone calls and much dialog with several stores (helps to know the exact model number), I found the exact table & arm chairs south of town. I drove to the store to make sure they had the right set in stock then picked up the wife to make sure it was exactly what she wanted (no way I was going to buy the set without her approval). Loaded up the table and remaining 2 arm chairs into the land barge (barely fit) and headed towards home. Been trying to assemble two chairs every night this week and I am now working on the table itself. Actually, the assembly is not too bad/complicated once you figure out the system. It should look fairly nice once I get done. I figure this new set may begat future acquisitions once we see it in the dining room…

The older set is going to a co-worker who just recently moved into a house and lacks a big table.

(BTW – 5 Covey points if you can recognize what EBA stands for)…

4 comments:

terri said...

You went to a lot of effort to make your wife happy. What a good guy you are!

EBA.... let's see.... Emotional Bank Account?

I don't know. You got me. Do tell!

agg79 said...

Bingo! One of those "Seven Habits" things a lot of us have been trained on. Sounds like you have had a class or two in that area.

The table & chairs are a minor thing in my mind. Well worth the investment down the road....

Anonymous said...

Actually it was a wild guess.. but now I'm intrigued. I might have to read up on those seven habits.

agg79 said...

You are pretty much in the ballpark. He is a motivational speaker/consultant that a lot of companies bring in to teach the "7 Habits of Highly Successful People" (his terms). Usually pitches this philosopy to large crowds/groups to inspire change. Been through several different versions with different companies. A lot of my HR friends swear by him.

Google him and you will find volumes on his books/courses....

Of course, the Emotional Bank Account is one of the side topics he covers that you always try to make deposits to others "Emotional Bank Accounts" so as to build trust/rapport and improve relationships (like family, friends).