06 July 2010

Tour de Dog

Trying something different. Trying to update my ramblings from the road.  Now this would be easy if I had one of those iPhones or iPads but I am running off of a blackberry and sitting on the runway in Phoenix waiting for a gate.

Since we had a 4 day weekend, wound up watching the Tour de France Sunday & Monday. Normally I don't pay attention to the race until the latter half. I am amazed that Armstrong is still a major contender after so many wins (7).  I've met him once a few years back and that is one focused guy.

What sparked my attention this year was all of the crashes in the first two days/stages. One of the crashes was due to a dog running out in front of the pack. Not just any mutt but a Golden Retriever. Had to scour the net but I found the footage on Belgiun TV showing a big auburn colored dog running out into the street right in front of the pack of riders. Dog was not hurt but a lot of riders hit the pavement hard. Typical Golden maneuver - wander out in front of everybody looking for attention/petting and then get that panic/hunker down stance when it realized it was in the line of fire. Both of the two current mutts have the same trait - lying in the middle of the floor or hallway requiring you to step over them. About 6 years ago, I broke a toe trying to to step over Shadow.

3 comments:

terri said...

I was so excited when I got my iPod touch, thinking I could post from anywhere. I got the WordPress app and everything. But it's still more of a hassle than it's worth.

Rock Chef said...

Some dogs have a skill at that. I always walk past dogs when cycling. In my experience, dogs tend to do one of 3 things to cyclists (I have owned dogs that did all 3):

1 - Chase the bike, biting at shoe laces and flapping trouser legs! Max, my Skye Terrier was great at this.
2 - Run for home at maximum speed. I had a whippet called Suzie that did this.
3 - Not see the bike, but blunder around in the way, either getting run over or causing the cyclist to crash into a tree. Sam, my old Irish Setter...

None of these are good, so I dismount until clear...

meleah rebeccah said...

Im with Terri. I have an iPhone, and its still difficult to update a blofg post from any cell phone. I think on a blackberry my thumbs would get too ouchy!