17 May 2009

Whirlwind

whirl·wind (-wind′) noun

  1. a current of air whirling violently upward in a spiral motion around a more or less vertical axis that has a forward motion
  2. anything resembling a whirlwind, as in violent or destructive force

I am leaving early in the morning to head to Austin to help extricate my son from school. He is finishing up his third year and he has one more final in the morning (ergo our delay in going up today) and I am helping to extract him from the dorms. He is RA this year, so he cannot leave until Wednesday, but I am trying to help him move back home, even if it is only for a brief time. Now, I am sure he could manage the move by himself, but I am willing to take a day off to help him relocate his crap back home. I know that momma would like to go, but this is more of a commando run where I will depart the SP at 0700 and make the transition to Austin to load up his gear and make the return trip in the afternoo. My brother (has 4 sons out of college), thinks we should let him make the move himself, but since junior is our only son and he is about to head out to the west coast for the summer, any help I can provide is something I want/need to do. Besides, I enjoy spending the time we have with him (since he will be graduating next year). The real pandemonium will be that he already has an internship lined up with Microsoft this summer and leaves on Sunday for Seattle. This means that we only get to see him for 4-5 days before he heads off to his job for the summer. I am glad that he has an excellent opportunity at a big time company and his future looks bright, but momma is not happy with the brief time she get to see him. I guess that I am going to have to squeeze in a road trip to Seattle this summer to visit him. Gonna be an interesting summer.

4 comments:

terri said...

Based on my own experience, Mama's never going to be happy about the fact that her time with her boy grows more limited with each passing year.

Dr.John said...

Get the time when you can and enjoy it.
We finally moved to be near where my boys are now living and share a duplex with the daughter.
Life goes on.

bettygram said...

It is great that your son has a summer job with a future.

meleah rebeccah said...

I only have one son too and you can bet your bottom dollar that I will always help him move back and forth from dorm to home in the summers!

[and by HELP I mean HIRING moving people to do all the real work!]