14 May 2009

Last call

The last blog generated a morbid, but interesting line to ponder.

How would you want to celebrate your life?

A formal funeral service with all the mourners and pall bearers? A wake with an open bar?

Many people who were kind enough to respond indicated a predilection to be cremated and celebrate life in a more positive fashion. Me? I have always wanted to go out in style. Now, I am not planning anything real soon, but if I were to pass on, I want to be cremated and have a wake as a memorial service. I do not want for people to be sad and forlorn, instead, I would prefer to have my friends and family celebrate life and have a good time. If given the chance, I would also prefer to have have my ashes spread over a place that I find special meaning. I have always harbored a secret desire to have my ashes scattered from a plane over Kyle Field (the football stadium @ Texas A&M). This may turn into another thread in a blog, but I have always had a intense love/loyalty to my Alma matter and it has become a part of me since I attended over 30 years ago. I am pretty sure that this practice is not permitted and people would frown upon my desire to spread my remains over the campus where I graduated into life, but I still would like to make a go at it. If not there, then I would like to be cast to the wind over the mountains of Philmont. To me, that is one of the few remaining frontiers of America and a place I could find peace and tranquility. Both spots represent major turning points in my life and I found true inspiration and tranquility. Now, reality tells me that this is probably not allowed, but we can always dream of writing our own ending. Of course, I am not looking to close out this chapter any time soon, but one should always consider the final stop in life.

Hope this was not too morbid or maudlin for you.

2 comments:

terri said...

Death is coming, whether we like it or not. Not talking about it is only a way of avoiding facing the inevitable.

I don't really care what they do with me when I'm gone. I'm not going to be around to worry about it anyway.

meleah rebeccah said...

A wake with an open bar!!! Yes Please!