08 November 2008

Moving at the speed of dark



Damn, it’s getting hard to keep up with everything. Ever since I hit the tarmac last week, I've been buried at the office & home. Was trying to manage a mountain of work at the office (endless task) when my son e-mailed me late Wednesday asking if I was going to the game in College Station last weekend as he and his girlfriend might come down from Austin. Honestly, given all of the projects and problems I was juggling, I was not even considering it, but since this was the first time we have seen them since he started school in August and we would not see him again until Thanksgiving, there was no question about us going to the game. Had to spend a day and a half trying to negotiate a slot on the RV lot ($125 thankyouverymuch) along with coordinating handoff of the parking pass with a woman in Baytown (I’ve done military maneuvers less complicated). On top of that, my trailer was not even prepped for a road trip, so it was a truly “seat-of-your-pants” excursion. In spite of all of the obstacles, we were able to pull this trip together on short notice and get to College Station for the game and spend the evening with our son. It was great to see him and his girlfriend for the weekend. I may be biased, but I feel think that they make a great couple and may eventually get hitched, but, since they are both juniors in college, that is putting the cart before the horse. Spent the weekend with them as well as the rest of my family and was totally exhausted by the time we got home on Sunday. I like to clean up my trailer before I put it back in the storage yard, so it was late Sunday before I was finally done. By the time I got done, it was well past 1600 and I was looking at a long week at the office.

Now this week has been a serious challenge for me. All of my buyers were in training all week which left me not only in charge but doing all of the grunt work. I am not complaining, but it was hectic at times. Needless to say, I was not as civil or patient with some of the nebulous requests that we handle on a daily basis. The nice part is that I know how to do this and kinda like getting my hands dirty in the operations. There are times I would rather stay out of the political side of the business and handle the normal day-to-day tasks, but that is not what is always expected of my role.

It’s been a hell of a week. After all of the election pandemonium, a long week of handing orders, I am off on the road again. Heading off to Dallas tomorrow for another supplier audit, but, thankfully, this is a short one day hop. Will be back on Tuesday to deal with the normal chaos.

Boat ride coming up! The frau & have a serious road trip coming up in a week that we are trying to get ready for. My parents have organized a cruise for us as well as both of my brothers & their wives. We are going to spend a week on a big boat with my family and I'm not exactly sure how we are going to survive.
Life’s tough, Get a helmet.

1 comment:

terri said...

Wow. Your life has been full of craziness, and now... a weeklong cruise with your family? I will pray for you sanity! ;-)

Nice that you got to see your son.

And that little phrase down at the bottom... funny... I use that one ALL the time!