27 November 2008

Be Thankful

The bird's stuffed & in the oven.
For many years, we have had Thanksgiving dinner at out house. Since both my family and my wife's family are in town, we have tried to serve as the gathering hole on Thanksgiving day. Lots of prep and stress, but we have a great time. We try to share the preparation duties but one of my roles is to stuff the bird early in the morning. This started way back when we lived in Dallas when I would try to run in the annual Turkey Trot. I would get up at at oh-dark-thirty and stuff the turkey, toss it in the oven and hit the trail. Been a while since I have been doing the annual run, but I still have the bird prep responsibity.

This year will be a little less hectic (I think). Stephen is home from college. My parents are having dinner over at their house (2nd brother is still in town from our cruise), so we will only have my wife's family and my son & girlfriend. Should be fairly calmer by those standards. Later today, we will go across town for dessert with my family (translation: more eating). Lots of food, conversation, football, naps. Will need to run an extra mile today to make up for the intake.

Even with all of the stress that sometimes comes with the holidays, I am tremedously grateful for what we have. We have our family. We have our health. THAT is what I am most grateful for.

Be safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving, Ya'll!

3 comments:

terri said...

Sounds like it'll be a busy but fun day. The turkey is stuffed and ready to go in the oven here too, but not quite yet. It'll go in in another hour. I still have 10 lbs of potatoes to peel and various veggie dishes to prepare, but I'm oddly calm about the whole thing. It's the running that's contributing to my mellow attitude lately, I'm sure.

Enjoy your day with family and don't eat too much but make sure you save room for at least one piece of pie!

agg79 said...

Actually we are going to try out the rum cake we got in Grand Cayman last week.

Abby said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was nice. Sounds like a good balance of family and food!

I used to like turkey trots, but the one nearby is only a 5K. Seems hardly worth the effort!

Thanks for visiting!