09 November 2008

Great. Wonderful. Best Day of My Life.

Ever notice that life is full of sayings? We all tend to gravitate towards certain expressions & sayings to make a point, express our opinion, share some humor, or close a conversation. I noticed that, over the decades, I have gathered a few of my own. Some I picked up by accident, others I have shamelessly stolen & usurped for my own evil purpose.

Take for example, the title of today’s diatribe: “Great. Wonderful. Best Day of My Life.” Actually, my brother started that one many years ago and I have adopted it as my standard response when I greet people. I use this reply whenever asked “How are you doing? Or How have you been?” The typical response has been “Good” or “OK” or “Can’t Complain”, but I’ve always felt those were throw away responses, used as a generic reply to others when you either don’t want to engage in conversation or they really don’t want to hear about your problems. Honestly, how many people want to hear about the kid’s latest escapades or how gassy the dog is getting or how your hemorrhoids are (by the way, should that be singular or plural?). A long while ago, I adopted my current reply as a response to any queries and it has sparked many interesting conversations. People are not typically expecting such an answer and it usually gives them pause when they hear it. It usually generates a smile or laugh from most as they may not believe me. Trust me, this is not a line for me. I try to live that mantra and am more than willing to explain it to those that ask. The origin of that line comes from my older brother who, after listening to an NPR show about some guy in prison on death row, came to the conclusion that, in spite of all of his troubles/problems, his day –to-day life is way much better that this guy. So, from that inspiration sprung our expression. To me, it actually started as a corny line, but I have made it a cornerstone of my day. I actually believe in that expression, even when sometimes challenged (Is it really the best day? What about your wedding day? or Graduation? or the Birth of your son?) True. I consider each of those days was tremendous and memorable, but every day beyond those that I am upright and healthy I consider a blessing and I am grateful for. When I look at what I have, I am healthy, I have a good job (ok, it has its ups & downs), I have a good home, a great wife, smart kid, loyal (but old) dog. Everything else is relative. Given the problems we face today, life ain’t too bad. As Terri has stated many times: Life’s Good. (Thanks again for the cup!)

A few other favorite expressions I have gathered (or shamelessly stolen) over the years that I tend to use ad nauseam:

  • Life’s Hard. Get a Helmet. – credit Terri
  • Chance favor’s the prepared mind. – think Steven Segal
  • Go ahead. Make my day. – timeless advice from Clint
  • Cowboy up.
  • It’s time to put your big boy pants on.
  • Never drink downstream from the herd.
  • Life’s short. Play hard.
  • Every man dies, but not every man lives.
  • Never give up! Never surrender!
  • If you ain't the lead dog on the sled team, the view never changes....

2 comments:

terri said...

I like your response to the standard "How are ya?" question. I bet it makes many people stop and think. I'm contemplating shamelessly stealing this from you. People don't expect much "out of the ordinary" from me, so I'm sure it would generate a few questioning responses!

Another one that struck me... "It's time to put your big boy pants on." That's funny! I'm not sure in what context I'd use it, but I love it!

agg79 said...

Feel free to take & use what you like. I have more that I will save for later posts.

As for the "big boy" comment, I reserve it for those who tend to whine too much (especially at work) and I use it as a gentle reminder that they just need to grow up. It's kinda like your "Life's Hard" observation.