08 October 2010

The wheels on the bus go round & round

Ever have one of those days?

Morning starts out great. Weather is picture perfect. Cool temps, low humidity, no clouds. Been a fantastic week weather-wise.

I am turning the corner on my projects, making headway with my action list, catching up on reports. Today was to be a fairy light day. Two meetings booked, lots of time to finish two reports, start on my weekly, make a couple of calls to suppliers.

Was going to try to run a few miles during lunch while the weather is good, but left my running clothes at home, so wound up working through lunch. Afternoon was dragging on, but things started backing up on my. One part problem, two missed shipments, drawing changes getting rejected, last minute purchase orders, four sales calls, big boss is looking for answers. Somewhere along the road the wheels started coming off the bus. Sometimes I feel like we bounce from one ditch to another while we drive down the road.

I am not the HMFIC down here. I have a manager's hat, but sometimes I feel more like a peon around here with certain projects.  And no matter what, it always seems like it is my fault.  Reminds me of the old poem:

I'm not allowed to run the train 
The whistle I can't blow
I'm not the one who designates
How far the train will go
I'm not allowed to blow the steam
Or even ring the bell
But let the damn thing jump the track
And see who catches hell.

Good thing I have a sense of humor about this kind of stuff (and an ample stash of scotch).

2 comments:

terri said...

Some days just call for a drink to wash away your frustrations. Hope you did get to relax some. At least the weekend is here.

meleah rebeccah said...

I/m with Terri! Have yourself a nice drink!