13 October 2010

How soon is too soon?

I like walking the dogs early in the morning.  Oh, sure, it is sometimes a pain to try & herd these two mutts around the block on their "sniff & pee" patrol, but I enjoy the early, pre-dawn quiet.  There is something serene about the early morning hours that inspires me with new resolve.  Typically, I take the time alone to go over the day's tasks, gather my thoughts and plan my attack on the day.  I've won lots of debates (internal) with myself as I walk the dogs. 

We also tend to see strange sites in the wee hours before dawn.  Yesterday, as I rounded the backside of the neighborhood, I spotted some lit figurines in a neighbor's yard.  A few people in my hood will decorate for the holidays.  Some, who will remain nameless, Lynn, seem to decorate for every holiday.  Now, this guy has not been one to put out a lot of decorations in the past.  I don't recall too many decorations for other holidays, so I figured this was some Halloween ornaments.  I know the family that lives there.  Nice guy.  Sweet wife.  A couple of cute/young kids (2 girls, 1 boy) and they are always out walking at night.  As I got closer to the two foot tall figurines (three), I was able to make out the statue of Joseph and Mary and one wise guy.  I know people like to get a jump on the holidays, but ain't it a wee bit early?

5 comments:

Rock Chef said...

I think Halloween should be kept as short as possible, maybe decorate on the Friday...

I like to keep Christmas in December - we usually decorate a week or 2 before the day. Mrs RC will not allow it earlier than that! They usually survive just into the New Year.

Rock Chef said...

BTW -I do the evening walks with our dog (plus Spot and Bryn my dad's and uncle's dogs) and find it very theraputic - except when Bryn puts up a fox and tries to drag us all into the bushes...

terri said...

There are some homes in our area that go all out with the holiday decorations. I saw one at least a month ago, and they were already getting things set up for Christmas. I would be MAD if I lived on the same street. It's too much.

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh people have been decorating for Halloween around here since September 1st. And, yes I think its too early!

Abby said...

A nativity scene? In October?!?

We've got a few goblins and bats and spiderwebs around the neighborhood. Only seen one smashed pumpkin so far.

I like being out in the early hours too. It's a different world then.