06 July 2009

Dog days of summer

Burning up down here. Temps have been hovering around the 100+ mark for the past week and the weekend was no different. A/C is running nonstop and the yard is dying. I have been watering to save what I can, but some areas of my yard are starting to look like a highway median.


I haven't had much to update our mutt Grayson lately. He's been doing good, has picked up some weight and pretty much taking over the house (Did I mention that Golden Retriever's are slightly hairy?). In spite of his progress and good looks, he is still heartworm positive. I've got to take him in early this morning to the vet for the first round of the treatment and I know he is not going to enjoy the next few weeks. This treatment is the kind where they give the dog a shot and then he must be kept quiet for 30 days (some people will kennel the dog for the entire time) to prevent any stress or excitement for the dog (could have severe consequences). I am not even supposed to walk him until the treatment is done. After 30 days, they give him a second shot and we repeat the cycle. Pretty nasty stuff, but it is supposed to be the best/only way to eliminate heartworms. I feel kinda bad for him so I took him back to the bark park Saturday to let him run free and socialize with the other dogs and play in the lakes. Would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't so hot. I'll get one last walk in this morning before we head in.


Who let the dogs out?

4 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Good luck with the treatment - sounds very drastic, but also very necessary!

He looks great now, although my dog, Custard, would not like him. He has taken a real dislike to all Retreivers!

meleah rebeccah said...

Aw. I feel so bad for Grayson! Poor dog!

And, I would die in 100+ heat. Die.

terri said...

Poor Grayson. I know he's not going to enjoy being kept quiet, but it'll be for the best.

100 + degrees does seem difficult to deal with. I would imagine it has a similar effect as the cold MN winters have on me. I have to say that our MN summers are the best. No complaints here.

agg79 said...

RC,

It is a pretty nasty treatment. Some dogs do not survive the treatment which is why we were trying to build up his weight and strength before we started. I am sure Gray would like to play with Custard, but he still has a bit of alpha dog in him so he does not get along with all dogs, but I am working on his social skills.

Meleah,

100+ heat- that's what a/c was invented for. I've been in worse places without a/c.

terri,

I feel sorry for him as well, but I know it is to make him better. Although, I know he will not be happy with me for a while. Not sure I want to trade my 100+ summers for those MN winters.