18 February 2009

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid

!#$^!^#$&$&!&$!#

Sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield.

It’s been a long, hard week (and it’s only Wednesday). I’m beginning to feel like a carnival ride that’s been to one too many fairs. Aside of the normal fire drills and problems, I am working several major projects at the office that are eating my lunch. The big one is a software update we are in the middle of that will convert our current material planning system over to the latest, state of the art system that will just about tell you when you run out of toilet paper. I’m glad/excited that we will finally have the new system (the current one was installed back before they had iPods) and it will definitely make life much better, but, getting a system installed & validated is a major hemorrhoid. We have to test and retest every single screen/menu/transaction of the system before we can go live and, since I am considered one of the super users, guess whose task it is to make this happen? This is going to take several months to convert and validate and I cannot let up on any of my normal assignment/chores. Needless to say, lots of late nights and weekends are in store for me and my team. My wife has noted that I am extra grumpy (irascible curmudgeon is the word she used) of late.

Sometimes you’re the nail, sometimes you’re the hammer.

Anyway, yesterday was no different. Lots of testing/problems, not making much headway, constant fire drills (IOW, typical day). Last night we took out one of our programmers that is down here helping re-write the code for dinner for Japanese food (Samurai Hibachi). Honestly, I was not really up for it and just wanted to go home to catch up on sleep, but I played the nice host and ate my share of sushi and tempura. Left late and was headed home around 8:00 pm. The drive from my office is about 35-40 minutes, depending upon traffic and it is normally a mindless commute. I was almost home (1/2 mile away) when some $*#&%$# turned in front of my truck forcing me to slow to avoid running over him. Kinda got a little po’d and decided to go around him even though my turn was coming up. Of course, as I passed him, he sped up so I had to gun it to make it past. As I moved over to make the turn, I noticed that a car was drafting me and followed me into the neighborhood as I made the turn (uh-oh). Of course, as I turned into the hood, the lights came on (oh, #$&%@^*%). Of course, I pulled over, turned on my flashers, turned off the truck, turned on the interior lights and dug out my license and insurance (been down this road before). Of course the cop came up to my window and asked the inevitable questions: Do you know the speed limit on XXX? Do you realize how fast you were going? Is there a reason for your urgency? Now, I could have lied or made excuses, but I have a morbid honest streak and I tend not to try and piss off any law enforcement, if at all possible. [Life Lesson #14: When stopped by a police/trooper/MP, act courteous, professional and respectful. NEVER mouth off to a cop.] I told him that, honestly, that there was no justifiable reason why I accelerated (aside of passing the other car) on the hopes he would appreciate my honesty, courtesy and respectful response and he did - right up to the point he gave me the ticket. Crap. I had kinda hoped to get off with a warning but no luck (Guess I should have showed him my legs). Great. Just what I frickin’ needed. Now I am looking at a court date and a possible $200 ticket. Will try to plea my case next month and may have to take defensive driving to get the ticket reduce. All for one stupid, careless moment.

Even though I ain’t happy, I cannot really complain. I am not a saint when it comes to driving and have been known to exceed the posted limit on occasion (especially on the toll road), so this is probably karma. Now, don’t get me wrong. I am not mad at the officer. He was doing his job and I would never fault him for giving me a ticket. Instead, I am more pissed at myself. Just like in December when I tripped and dislocated my shoulder, this one brief lapse of judgement will cost me time and money to resolve. Of course, there are many people out there in the ether with issues/headaches much worse than my little problems, so I am trying to be grateful, but it annoys me nonetheless. At least I have a truck to get a ticket in.

Sometimes you’re the dog, sometimes you’re the fire hydrant.

3 comments:

terri said...

So sorry to hear you're having such a bad week. Hope things shape up soon. And it sounds as if you're entitled to your curmudgeonliness.

meleah rebeccah said...

Ugh. Company software updates are a true nightmare, I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel better, i have never gotten out of a ticket. everytime i've been pulled over for speeding i got a ticket. i've tried crying, honesty, nothing works for me :)