28 February 2009

Dragging my feet

Sorry for the dry spell.

Been too busy (translation: lazy) to draft anything meaningful. Between therapy, work, travels, and various tasks, I've kinda been slacking off (yes, Terri, I'll admit to being a slacker). I know, excuses, excuses. Everybody's got one.

Still doing physical therapy 2-3 times a week for the shoulder. Getting better but it still hurts. Range of movement has improved but I still have problems fully extending the arm above the head. I got a little irritated (at myself) for the lack of progress and have been pushing it a bit more. Penne (therapist) is doing a great job although I have accused her of enjoying the pain/torture a bit too much. What does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Did a short road trip to Oklahoma this week. Had to audit another supplier located in the booming metropolis of Chickasha, Oklahoma. Every heard of the place? Located about 45 minutes southwest of Oklahoma City, it is in the middle of the plains. Very small town atmosphere, not a lot of night life (that we found). I know if from my years in the antique car hobby. They hold an annual kick-ass swap meet at the fairgrounds for a lot of old car nuts. Aside of that, there ain't too much to the town. I ain't knocking the town (ok, maybe a wee bit) but any place where cow tipping is a sport has to be noted. Notes from the road: Oklahoma BBQ is not the same as Texas BBQ.

Work is still kicking my butt. The software projects is still there and not getting any prettier. I have been trying to coordinate the validation effort, but it kinda like trying to herd cats. Many of whiney people complaining about the system and its shortfalls (we haven't even implemented it yet) and they definitely feel it is my fault. Hey people:, I did not pick the system, but I will support it and make it work, so you need to cowboy up and either help me make this work or get the hell out of the way. I got one manager who keeps telling me that, back at his old company, they had a great system that did everything for you short of wiping your nose. I have to bite my tongue to keep from telling him that, if it was so great there, why don't you go back (not a really good political move).

Junior is looking for an apartment in Austin for his senior year. He has finally had enough of dorm life and wants to move off campus. He & his roommate had a line on a condo in west Austin ($$$), but the parking turned out to be sucky. A one car garage and no spots for a second vehicle. At first he sound like he was in love with it (kept calling me to get my blessing/backing). I think they were just about settled on it but when he dug into the parking (at my encouragement) he did not like the response, so the deal is off the table. They are looking again for another place this weekend. We'll probably make a road trip to Austin next weekend to help cement the deal. Momma wants to go up anyway to check on her baby.

No dog, yet. I've been looking at various sites for a new mutt, but I just cannot bring myself to get one (yet). Momma and I really miss the old fart and will probably get another rescue/pound mutt.

In spite of all of these challenges, I am happy to have made it to the weekend. The weather's ok (low 50s) but spring is just around the corner. Gotta start fertilizing the yard soon.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

terri said...

Apparently some of us are more willing to admit to being a slacker than others. I prefer to deny my slackerness rather than admit my problem is really that my brain stopped working. :-)

Maybe the next time that manager starts spouting off about the software problems you could remind him how lucky he is to actually be earning a paycheck in this economy.

My boy is working on securing new housing for next year too. He did the dorm year one, then shared a house this year with 4 others. He's learned that lots of roommates equals cheap rent but isn't so much fun. He's scaling back to 2 roommates for next year.

Weather in the 50's? We had 40's last week. Of course now there's a foot of snow on the ground and it's cold again....

Enjoy what's left of the weekend.

meleah rebeccah said...

I used to hate when my life and work took over my blogging time!