10 February 2009

Status quo

I hate change. No, I'm not going political here, but I'm one of those people who gets set in my ways and used to my stuff and hate to make changes.

I've got a 9 year old truck with 121k miles. My previous ride was an 85 pickup with 325k miles and the only reason I traded her in was because I needed something to tow my trailer and haul scouts in. Got an old trailer we camp in. Would upgrade my rig, but I am kinda attached to my current set up, even if it is considered a classic and doesn't have all the latest technology. I wear my boots until the tops wear out (think about it). I have a couple of shirts/jeans that were in style back when my son was a toddler. I have a pair of Bass deck shoes I bought back in the 90s that are way too comfortable to toss out. I've kept my Cannon AE1 camera long after I have gone digital. I still have a turntable and a large number of LPs. I still have a VCR and some old tapes. I guess I am old school and get attached to my gear/toys and find it hard to let things go.

Seems like things are piling up on me after the new year. My phone decided it was time to quit displaying anything. Still works, but I cannot see any numbers on the screen. Of course, momma's phone has joined in the party, so I am looking for new gear. I went by the store this weekend to look over the new offerings/toys. I would like the latest tech, but, honestly, most of it would be a waste on me. I already have to lug a blackberry for my office work, so having a second one for personal use would be like putting a "nerd" sign on my back. I would prefer something simpler, less flashy. I want the video/camera feature (good for emergency picture or that random celebrity siting). I want texting ability to stay in contact with my son at college. I would like some of the bells and whistles available, but those are more "nice to have" features. What to get? Blackberry/PDA or flipphone style with texing ability? Something with GPS and 3G capable? Bluetooth? I hate to have to convert to a new phone and reload my numbers (I know, the SIM card can transfer the data) but I am used to my old Motorola.

Finally got an iPod Nano last spring so I can listen to tunes while I run. Helped me out during my 1/2 marathon last month.

Broke the nose piece out of my glasses Sunday so now I need new glasses as well. Of course, it has been a few a few years (2005, I think) since I upgraded my prescription and got new specs and I am dragging my feet. I've always wanted to go for Lasik, but keep talking myself out of the procedure (too old, too much $$$). I am afraid that I will finally have to go for bifocals this year, but I am still in denial.

I know it is inevitable (Resistance is Futile), but I don't do change easily.

6 comments:

Abby said...

I'm usually okay with change, but I will fight the bifocals tooth and nail!!

meleah rebeccah said...

Change is scary, especially when you are really comfortable with the way things are. But change can often be necessary!

terri said...

I still have a couple VCRs and refuse to give up the VHS tapes. I've got lots of LPs (that's where my Springsteen 5 album collector set is.) Unfortunately, the needle's shot on the turntable and it doesn't get used anymore. I've still got my Minolta Maxxum 700. Best camera ever. Problem is, I add all the new technology and don't weed out any of the old.

agg79 said...

Abby - I've been trying to dodge the bifocals for a few years, but I think it may be a lost cause.

meleah - absolutely! The one constant in life is change. Even though I know better, I will cling to my habits/stuff to my dying breath.

terri - trade you a few albums or VHS tapes. I still have a working turntable, even if it hasn't been used in years.

Rock Chef said...

Sometimes change is good. I like new things, but I also like old things.

Take the amps that I use for my guitars. My bass amp is about 25 years old and is beautiful. My lead guitar amp is a new digital one that has all sorts of stuff built in. It is also beautiful.

Some change is for the better, but I never fix something that isn't broken.

Anonymous said...

On Lasik I think I would avoid that if it were me, because I have read that it is only a temporary fix, and after a while the eyes go bad again and this time worse due to scar tissue from the surgery. With the exception of cataracts, I think eye surgery is a no-no.

Bifocals aren't so bad once you get used to them. It certainly makes it easier to see. And they have them now where you can have them made so the line is invisible and you can't really tell that they are bifocals.