01 January 2009

One down,

364 more to go.

GOOD MORNING PEOPLE!
Did I ever mention that I am a morning person? I get it from my dad who is up every day at the crack of early and takes a 3-5 mile walk. Not too shabby for someone pushing 85. Anyway, I am one of those “bright and cheerful” you hate to see in the morning as I typically have at least 1-2 cups of joe in me and have been up since 0400.

Well, we survived another one. I will say that celebrating the start of a new year sans alcohol is a tad boring. The up side is that I am clear headed this morning and my tongue does not feel/taste like a carpet. It was funny to watch everyone else enjoy the evening in a highly lubricated manner. We heard fireworks (illegal in the city limits) going off all around the neighborhood until well past 0300. IMHO, some of the “pops” were spaced a bit too close together to be considered “fireworks”. That’s one of the reasons we normally go out of town to our New Year’s Eve rally in Bellville. A lot quieter, a lot less chaos, fewer drunks.

To kick off the New Year, I am going to follow terri’s lead and do the picture meme. The rules are simple (but you may choose to follow, bend or break as you see fit):
  1. Go to the folder in which you keep your digital photos.
  2. Choose the fourth folder.
  3. Find the fourth picture in that folder.
  4. Explain.
  5. Tag four people.

I find it an interesting exercise in housekeeping (What's in your folders?) but unfortunately, my picture is not as exciting or cute as terri’s or Abby’s.

What you see here is my son’s car. Actually, it was our car before we gave it to him for college. Nice little ’93 Camry with low mileage that is in excellent shape. Runs great and has gets great mileage. With high gas prices of late, I’d rather drive it than my current landbarge (Ford Expedition). When he goes off to his internship in Seattle this summer, I plan to abscond with it for my daily commute. In turn, I take care of the maintenance for it so it is one less thing for him to worry about. Besides, it is a simple car to maintain and I like that kind of work.

But I digress. This picture is of the Camry when my son was driving it in high school 2.5 years ago. He had gone to a local pool hall (Sticks) to play some pool with his friends and someone broke into his car. Some punk busted out the back window to get inside the car. They really didn’t take anything from the car (he did not have anything in it) and just caused a mess. I considered it a minor inconvenience and was glad nothing serious was done or the car was not stolen. I found a local glass shop that dropped in a new window for next to nothing and he was back in business. The lessons he learned was 1) to be more prudent/careful about where he parked his car, 2) not to leave anything of value inside the car and, 3) to double lock the trunk (if you have something you want to protect). One of the many valuable lessons we learn in life.

Now, go tag yourself.

Always drink upstream from the herd…

2 comments:

Abby said...

Happy New Year! Do we have the same dad???

Nice meme pic. Typical guyness - a car.

terri said...

I'm a morning person too. Which means I am NOT a night owl and I'm pretty sure I slept through the point of crossing over from 2008 to 2009.

Nice job on the meme. I might have taken a picture like that too, but I would have made my kid pose along side the car. :-)