21 January 2009

Juggling chainsaws on roller skates

Still a wee bit sore from this weekend's run, but things are falling back to a normal pace.

Work is still as crazy as ever. Typical last minute projects, problem parts, daily disasters, and personality crisises. Had to play nursemaid to an auditor yesterday of our warehouse. I am no longer directly in charge of this place, but I was the primary person to set it up and qualify it so I got tapped to answer all of the questions/queries (translation: I know where all the skeletons are). These audits are about as enjoyable as having a root canal done. Lots of minor questions on why did you set it up this way or how did you qualify that system or where is your records for this. It is sort of like justifying or rationalizing the decisions you made 2-3 years ago (or longer). Of course, for the company this is very important and many people tend to get nervous or panic over the threat of a pending audit. I've done enough audits now to be able to talk my way through most and come out clean. The outcome of yesterday's visit was that the auditor was happy/satisfied and we have been granted a clean check up. That makes me a hero (= 1 atta-boy) for the company for the day. Of course, atta-boys have a short shelf life and are only good until your next aw-shit. Today is a new day and with new challenges/issues to overcome. Was on the phone with one of my suppliers late in the day discussing 4 different issues/problems with her and my comment was: I feel like a circus bear riding a unicycle and juggling balls.

Always drink upstream from the herd...

2 comments:

terri said...

Sometimes it's nice to be the person they know they can count on. Can't hurt, right?

Abby said...

"I was the primary person to set it up and qualify it..." Sounds like job security, whether you like it or not.