05 January 2009

26735

I'm bib number 26735

Just received my race registration/packet on the Aramco Houston Half Marathon. I’m kinda disappointed this year since it looks like I won’t be running. Just got back from my ortho doc. Gave a new sling and cleared me for most normal things but pretty much waved me off of doing any exercise (like running 13 miles). I can walk it, but will not try to push my luck. My arm is feeling better and I have some more mobility, but I cannot lift it above my shoulders nor straighten it out. Wicked looking x-ray they took last week (it’s been a week, now) that shows the top of the bone out of place by a good 3-4 inches. I will have to get an MRI later to check out any residual damage, but that is just to make sure everything is healing ok. Probably start therapy in 3 weeks. In the mean time, it is good to have some freedom from the sling, even if it hurts to raise my arm. Guess I’ll have to lay off the bench presses for a while.


I would offer up my slot to anyone who wants to run the 13 miles (Abby? Terri?), but you would have to run under my name & number. The timeframe for transfer closed two weeks ago. Should be a regular zoo down there. Last year, there were roughly 18-20,000 runners converging on downtown Houston. Need to get there early to avoid the street closure and have a decent chance of parking close to the convention center. Since I will be forced to walk, I may take my camera for pictures. Still would much rather be running it.

BTW – this is a charity event that collects a ton of donations for various causes. Last year I did it for the American Cancer Society (because of my prostate cancer). This year I will be running for the American Cancer Society again as well as the Houston SPCA (in homage to Shadow). I would say you could track my progress via the
website and my bib number, but I am afraid that my progress will be pretty slow this year. Oh well, there’s always next year…

4 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

Well good for you for still being active at all with an injury like that. Glad to hear your arm is healing!

Abby said...

Bummer that this happened right before the race. 20,000 runners, lots of charities - sounds like a fun time! I'd go as you if I lived closer.

Hope you have fun. Since you'll be taking it easy, you might meet and have time to chat with some like minded people.

terri said...

Darn. I was hoping you'd be cleared to run!

I think Abby is your only hope. I'm still working on running my 3 miles and pushing the limits slowly. But I seem to be stuck at 3 miles thanks to the weather and an inconsistent schedule.

agg79 said...

Meleah,

Thanks. I'm just grateful it wasn't worse. Coulda fallen on my face, but, then again, who whould have noticed?

Abby,

Hey, its only a mere 16 hour drive away (or a short Southwest flight). I figured for a seasoned runner like you, at these temps, it would be a literal walk in the park.

terri,

You never know unless you try. I have bee a low milage runner but will kick it up every once in a while for the right reason. Always wanted to do a marathon, so maybe next year is my time.

Thanks, everyone, for the vote of confidence!