26 December 2011

Happy Boxing Day!

Once again, we rounded the final turn, slipping and sliding all the way and skidded into Christmas morning.  After all of these years, you'd think I would be better prepared for the holidays, but each year it seems like a sprint to the finish.  Still, it seems to add to spirit of the season.   


We had a great Christmas all around.  Finally got the tree decorations up.  We have collected a ton or decorations & ornaments over the past 31+ years and if we ever put them all on one tree, you wouldn't be able to see any green.  We have a several still from our early days that we tend to hang up each year - wooden ornaments from Germany, a set of nested glass bells that survived an overseas move, three dogs, one cat and one curious son, several handmade ornaments inscribed with the year, the skier with the broken leg.  Each one has a back story that is meaningless to anyone but us.  


Got up early to to fix our Christmas breakfast casserole.  This has been a tradition over at my brother's house, but since we cannot seem to make it over to there for the morning rush, we decided to make it here this year.  Nice, simple recipe.  Fix up the night before and throw in the oven on Christmas morning.  Had Christmas at our house first, then went to my parents to have a late lunch with them, drop by my brothers for a quick visit and then off to my in-laws to visit with them for a while.  It was great to spend time with everyone, but we are worn down.  


I am still fighting off my cold.  Thought I had tackled it last week, but it has come back with a vengeance.  I am taking various medications to correct, but I am still fighting the hacking cough.  One thing I got from my mom (always willing to dole out medicinal advice) is some new concoction for a cough.  Some really potent mixture called Buckley's mixture that is supposed to fix a cough, period.  I was warned it was some really nasty/foul tasting stuff that they are proud of.  It is even advertised as 1) it tastes awful & 2) it works.  Forewarned, I am willing to try just about anything to get rid of this cough.  I will state, without exaggeration, it is some really nasty stuff.  Has the color and  consistency of snot and tastes like liquid vap-o-rub.  So far, it has helped, but I am still dogged by this cold.  I am planning to lay low for the week to see if I can kick this thing.






And my brother, always one to go for the exotic gifts, gave us a pint of the newest Ben & Jerry ice cream flavor:  Schweddy Balls.  Family - ya gotta love them.


I hope everyone had a great holiday and can enjoy the week.

2 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

I'm so happy you had a lovely Christmas. I'm sorry your not feeling well. Colds suck. Get well soon my friend.

terri said...

We can fit approximately 1/4 of our decorations on the tree. If I had the energy, I'd set up additional trees and decorate those too. But I don't.

Sorry to hear you're still fighting the cold. Hope it passes with some rest and relaxation this week.