09 February 2010

Happy Anniversary (plus one)

I was off Monday in an all day motivational seminar (whoo-hoo! I'm motivated! More on that later this week.) and forgot to post this yesterday. My bad. Must be the old age creeping up on me.

Anyhoo, yesterday, February 8th, was the 100th (as in 10 decades) anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America.

Founded on the ideas and principles of Lord Robert Baden-Powell in England and brought to these shores in 1910 due, in part, to an act of kindness by one unknown scout doing his daily good turn, the BSA has grown from a small group into an international organization whose goal is to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through participation in a wide range of outdoor activities, educational programs, and, at older age levels, career-oriented programs in partnership with community organizations.

Oh, sure it's really cool to camp out in the woods, play with fire, swim in the lakes and rivers, learn how to build stuff, but scouting builds character.

For the small crowd of people who infrequenlty visit my humble musings, ya'll might pick up, on occasion, that I support the BSA organization. Have done it for years and continue to do so now. I strongly believe in the purpose and mission of the BSA.


Happy Birthday/Anniversary to all Scouts & Scouters!

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

I was in the Boys Brigade - they wore hats that looked like the ones in Thunderbirds! I left when we were going to do a parade in public and no one could remember the drill (which was ridiculously complicated) and the bugler sounded like he had an arrow through his bugle.

terri said...

Happy Birthday to the Boy Scouts! I know you're very dedicated to them. I have a nephew who made Eagle Scout. Only one of my boys was in scouts, and it turns out he really was only interested in building Pinewood Derby cars.

meleah rebeccah said...

Happy 100th Birthday/Anniversary to all Scouts & Scouters!