04 October 2009

What's your cause?

Kids. Pets. Family. School. Charity. Church. Political. Social. Spiritual.

We all have causes.

Whether it is supporting your local firefighters or the police or the church or a specific foundation for a disease or the local animal shelter or a political group or your kid's school or a soccer/baseball team or the food bank or the local , people sometimes find causes they believe in and get behind to support. I have supported many causes over my life for different reasons, some more than others. Some I support with a check while others I have donated time and sweat equity to help out.

A few (but not all) of the ones I've supported over my life:

Now, please do not mistake me as some sort of pariah or saint. I am not rich, but I tend to support things that are near & dear to my heart. I have not been able to support a lot of groups or causes because I have limited funds and time, but I try to lend my support where I can. I am a big supporter of the BSA both financially and spiritually. I have spent many summer vacations on the trail or in camp in support of their efforts to educate and train young adults. I am a firm believer in their objectives and support their mission whenever I can. One of the paybacks has been wth my son earning his Eagle Scout rank. Some people give money, some give their time while others dedicate their lives to causes that they believe in. Everybody has their reasons for supporting their own cause/effort.

What's your cause?

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

I don't have any particular causes - If I see someone collecting for what seems to be a good cause I will give some cash, but I am increasingly put off by people who grab you in the high street and expect you to set up a regular monthly payment there and then. Sorry, no I am not going to give my bank details to some guy in the street!

terri said...

The American Cancer Society - because my mom is a breast cancer survivor. My kids' high school puts on a Relay for Life every year and it's HUGE. They are usually one of the top fundraisers in the country. The Relay started at this school because one of the school's own students was affected by cancer. She was the sister of one of my oldest son's best friends. She died a couple of years ago and the Relay goes on in her memory, growing bigger every year.

meleah rebeccah said...

I tend to support things that are near & dear to my heart too.

My cause? Finding a cure for Alzheimer's, since that's what took my grandmothers dignity and ultimately her life.