18 October 2009

Outdoors (part duex) - It's called a DOG park

Weather is still fantastic. It is almost criminal not to be outside enjoying this.

Took the dog to the new dog park yesterday. It is a brand new dog park built down in the bottom land near the Brazos River. Nice big park but still needs some more work. The ground must have been saturated last week because it looks like a herd of elephants had roamed through the area. Not a lot of grass next to the pond and the pond was very muddy. The grass needs to grow a bit more to make it less of mud pit. Of course, the dogs didn’t care. Grayson thought it was just like going to the play ground to meet all sorts of new friends. Young dogs, old dogs, fat dogs, tiny dogs, hairy dogs, slobbery dogs. Dogs with their own bones/balls to fetch. Dogs who loved to swim. Dogs who loved to chase each other. I played with a pair of Huskies who seemed to be enjoying the cooler weather. One girl brought a tiny Corgi named Bo. And by tiny, I mean this dog couldn’t have been more than 4 pounds soaking wet. My dog’s head was bigger that this entire dog. Of course all of the big dogs (including mine) were fascinated by this new “toy” and were checking her out. Funny sit to see three big dogs sniffing out this small, but undaunted Corgi. In spite of his diminutive stature, Bo held his own against his bigger brethren. All in all, the dogs seemed to enjoy the freedom of the open park and the new sights/sounds/smells. On our way out of the park, as Gray & I passed through the gate, I noted a young couple bringing in their dog. What caught my attention was the girl was carrying (ISYN) a ferret! I did one of those classic double takes. A ferret? Who brings a ferret to a dog park? I almost turned around to see if this was going to turn into a YouTube moment but had to head on home. If the pack was interested in a tiny Corgi, I was curious to see what hilarity would ensue with a ferret.

4 comments:

Abby said...

So, I wonder if the ferret lived to tell about it!

terri said...

Ferrets can be pretty social and entertaining, and the few that I've encountered have enjoyed the outdoors. But purposely bringing one to a place full of curious dogs seems like playing with fire. After all, a ferret is a rodent, and dogs have the instinct to chase and capture such things. They probably thought it was some kind of weird squirrel!

Rock Chef said...

I have had ferrets - they are great little animals. One of our friends has one now and takes it for walks on a lead.

Abby and Terri - I suspect the ferret is very capable of looking afrer itself, mine never had trouble with dogs.

agg79 said...

I am sure Monsiguer Ferret held his own. He did not look too concerned with his environment. I was just interested to see what would transpire given a pack of about 40+ hyped up dogs and one sedate ferret.