08 June 2009

Weekend follies

Ever start working on various projects on the weekend and lose track of time? Pretty darn good weekend. Since the job has me tied down to a computer for most of the week, I chose to work outside for a bit but got a lot done. The weather was great but it is starting to get warm & humid already. The summers down here on the coast can be pretty brutal but I find the best way to handle it is to start early and not go inside to the a/c until done. And drink lots of water.
Had to retrim the trees again. Got my second notice from the city Saturday (Final Warning! Dire Consequences! Major Felony!). I actually got the first letter back in May when I was making my run to Austin to extract offspring. I've gotten this notice before (as well as a lot of my neighbors). The city has a 13 foot rule where no tree limbs are supposed to hang over the street lower than 13 feet (8 foot for sidewalks). I have two big Arizona Ash trees out front that tend to get a bit branch heavy and will hang down, but certainly not below 12 feet (there are a few in the neighborhood I can actually touch when walking the dog), but occasionally, the city deems it necessary to make their neighborhood sweeps writing up all miscreants and ne'er-do-wells. I actually trimmed (what I thought) were my offending branches last weekend and figured I was good for a while, but got a second letter Saturday with a snarky response date of Monday (two days?). So I was out again yesterday morning with the pole saw and ladder making sure that nothing was lower than 20 feet. Even took pictures just to prove it to the city in case there was any question of my efforts. From the comments I heard from several neighbors, sounds like a bunch got the same letter. With all of the other issues, seems like a petty thing for the city to keep hounding us on, but I guess I cannot complain too much. From some of my co-workers who live in other areas of town, their HOAs (home owners associations) can be pretty A/R. Letters about keeping your hedges trimmed below a certain heights, not edging one side of your driveway, or staining your fence the wrong color are typical. Aaah, for the open range...

Not a lot of limbage, but it is a pain in the butt to clean up.



4 comments:

Rock Chef said...

I actually envy you!

There is a path where I live that had a big rose bush growing across it. One of the neighbours told us they were fed up with it and wanted to chop it back. Fine, go ahead! So they massacred it, and then walked away leaving the bits all over the place making things far worse than they were before!

terri said...

Over the past 20 years, my immediate neighborhood experienced huge residential growth. Since most of our homes were built on farm fields, the trees are only now just beginning to mature and reach a significant size. Can't say I've ever received a warning from the city except for the one time my husband was watering the lawn on the wrong day.

meleah rebeccah said...

Getting out in the fresh air and connecting with nature rocks, even if its trimming AGAIN and in humidity.

Where I live we have crazy H.O.A. that walk around the neighborhood just looking to cite people. My mom is forever doing battle to keep her plants the way she wants!

Abby said...

My backyard looks like a jungle. It's a good thing we don't have an HOA or I'm sure we'd be in violation!

Good on you for trimming.