10 June 2009

On My Honor

Nice way to end to a crappy day.

My days have been getting busier at the office. The system upgrade project is moving along at the speed of dark and I am only 3 weeks behind. When I try to block out a day to do some testing or verify the data, someone dumps another nebulous project or task in my lap (How many barks in a dog? or Where does light go when you turn it off?). Something that, it appears, only I can answer. At this rate, I'll be done with my project sometime in 2011. On top of that, I am trying to get things done before we hit the road to visit junior in Seattle in a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I was a wee bit testy.

But, I digress. Last week I was invited to sit in on a Board of Review for Eagle Scout rank for a kid in our old troop. I've known this kid for 7+ years and have been on many camp outs and camps with him. Great kid with a bright future. I have not been as active in the troop since my son moved off but I felt the need to be there so I said yes. Fast forward to today and, with my schedule/workload, I was questioning my acceptance (don't have time, running late, etc.), but somehow, I managed to sneak off, drive home in record time, change into my scout uniform and make it to the church in time to serve on the board. An Eagle Board of Review is the final review of a scout to determine if he is ready/qualified to become an Eagle Scout. We get to sit in judgement of the scout and his accomplishments over the past 6-7 years to deem him worthy of the rank. Now, for those not as familiar with Scouting and what an Eagle Scout is, I will just say it is the highest rank in scouting and very few people have achieve that rank (my son is one). It is considered a great honor and represents a mark of leadership and accomplishment for a young scout that will carry forward throughout his life. Many leaders/important people have earned that rank and it can open doors for those who can get it. Not everyone can get this award and it is a long road to earn it, but of the few that do, it is a measure of their character (IMHO). I am glad/proud to be able to have served on the board and helped him achieve this goal. I was part of his experience and remember sitting on a similar board when he turned Tenderfoot 6 years ago. I challenged him then to stay with the program and reach for the stars and, tonight, he has earned the rank. I am a big supporter of Boy Scouts and tend to give them my support whenever possible. One of the slogons we have is that: "Scouting Builds Character."


Congratulations Kevin!

Outstanding job!

Semper Paratus!

6 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Congrats to your son - and you YOU the obviously proud father!

agg79 said...

RC,

Thanks. My son earned his Eagle a few years back. Was long in coming. Like most scouts, they tend to lose steam when they hit the high school years and it sometimes takes a little "encouragement" to reach the finish line. My son was no different. Had my doubts at times, but he did it.

Proud? Damn right I'm proud.

terri said...

I'm sure it meant more to Kevin than you know that you supported him through the years and were there for him. There aren't enough adults willing to invest that kind of time and confidence in kids.

Anonymous said...

hi, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for hanging with me through my dry spell :) i really appreciated it and hope to be posting with a little more frequency again.

meleah rebeccah said...

Congratulations Kevin! I loved this post so much! You are the best dad!!

[Of course second only to my own father!]

meleah rebeccah said...

Oops. I just re-read this. I thought to myself, wait...how could KEVIN be your son! LOL.

I'm sorry! MY BAD.

I think you are totally super amazing for dedicating your time and your energy and for helping KEVIN [not your child] reach his goal!!

You. Rock.