30 April 2009

The long road

Life is full of milestones. You're born, you learn to walk, your first kiss, graduation from school, getting your dirver's license, turning 21 (or 30 or 50), leaving home, getting married, having kids, your first colonoscopy. Each milestone is another notch on the barrel of life. I consider each and every milestone as experience that we grow from.


Momma and I have been together a long time. Hell, we've been together longer than a few countries have been in existence. Next week, my darling bride and I will celebrate/commemorate our union of 29 years. 29 years. Wow. Just saying that makes me feel old. I used to know the list of anniversary gifts for the early years (paper, gold, diamonds) but what is the gift for 29? We are not big on gifts for each other and we tend to celebrate in a nice little quiet restaurant (although nothing says love like a 42 in HD TV).

One of my co-workers (the one I Kilroy'd) just celebrated her 5th year (rookie). She asked me how we stayed together for so long. A few of the many reasons:

  1. I'm old to break in another spouse

  2. She knows all of my jokes

  3. We're trying to see who can outlast the other

  4. I know how to reset the clocks for daylight savings time

  5. I'm the designated bug killer/poop clean up guy

  6. We cannot agree on who would get the dog

What do you get for 29 years?
Aluminum?
Burlap?
Wrought Iron?

7 comments:

terri said...

I don't know any of the anniversary gifts. But for 29, you should both get something good. I'm thinking a vacation.

Our 21st was today.

agg79 said...

Congratulations!
Hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy it.

Rock Chef said...

Congratulations!

We are nearing our 24th - you (and Terri) make me feel like less of an odd-ball. I mean, aren't most onto their 2nd or 3rd marriage by now?

Abby said...

Wow! 29 years - that IS a milestone. The husband and I are nearing 19.

As for a 29th anniversary gift? I don't know either. Just a good 30th year I guess.

meleah rebeccah said...

Well Happy early 29th Anniversary!
That is AMAZING!

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh and when you said

"your first colonoscopy"

I laughed out loud

agg79 said...

Thanks! Appreciate all of the kind thoughts. At this stage of the game, we're both too old to start over and, besides, who else would put up with me?