10 April 2009

Second thoughts

Ever stand on the precipice of some event or decision and start getting 2nd thoughts?

  • Am I doing the right thing?
  • Do I know enough?
  • Am I strong enough to do this?
  • Am I smart enough?
  • Am I good enough for her (or him)?
  • Can we afford this?
  • Is this a good career move?
  • Is this the right time?
  • Are we ready for this?
  • Do we know enough to be parents?
  • Will I be funny?
  • Can I lead/inspire others?
  • Will people like it/me?
  • What will others think?
  • Why am I jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?
I think part of it is due to the build up of emotional energy prior to a pending event. Anticipation, fear, concern, excitement, doubt all combine to give you that emotional roller coaster of feelings. Call it butterflys, call it cold feet, call it buyer's remorse. You've made your decision, cast the die, and now you await to see the results. Some events in life are huge, life changing events (weddings, births, school, work, buying your first house/car) while other decisions are a bit more mundane. It is that lull between making your choice and awaiting the outcome that doubt will sometimes creep in and make you question your decision (what was I thinking?).

I live for times like these. It is the prospect of entering into the unknown that gives me that adrenalin rush and makes life interesting.

Resistance is futile.
Change is inevitable.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

3 comments:

terri said...

Agreed on all points, but the suspense is KILLING me! What's going on?

You got a dog, didn't you?

Jay G said...

I'm betting Kid#2...

:)

agg79 said...

terri,

You'll just have to wait your turn just like the rest.

Jay,

Good lord, no. I appreciate your vote of confidence, but, uh, I kinda had the plumbing fixed last year with my prostate cancer surgery. Thanks anyway!