28 August 2009

Friday Follies

Getting old is not for wimps.


You are getting old when you get up feeling like the morning after when you haven't been anywhere the night before.


The old chassis has a few more rattles and dings that it used to. Things tend to hurt more. Knees ache. Backache. Headache (Ibuprofen is my friend). Gray hair. Less hair. Nose hair. Food I used to enjoy to excess now either gives me heartburn or gas (and not the good kind). The music I used to enjoy to in high school is now played on elevators or as a commercial for certain romantic medications (When the moment is right...). As soon as you buy & learn the latest electronic gadget, it is out of fashion/date. Walking across a college campus with all of the incoming students will make you feel ancient.


Its official - I am an old fart. Got new glasses the other day and this is my first set of "progressive lenses" (That's the nice way of saying bifocals).


A FEW of the GREAT TRUTHS THAT ADULTS HAVE LEARNED:

  1. Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree.
  2. Wrinkles don't hurt.
  3. Families are like fudge...mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
  4. Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  5. Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
  6. Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy.

Have a great weekend, be safe, be prepared, be fruitful.

4 comments:

terri said...

So some of the parts aren't working as smoothely as they used to. It's the trade-off for a life well lived and has made you the great person you are today.

Abby said...

I've managed to avoid the dreaded bifocals so far. I'll fight tooth and nail.

I'll bet that every wrinkle,every ache, every grey (or missing) hair has a good experience behind it.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, I sure do.

Official, card carrying, paid up member of the Old Farts Club here.

-------------
Morris

meleah rebeccah said...

This made me laugh out loud:

"Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree."