13 December 2008

Trying to keep up

Been very busy down here. I get this way every year. Trying to finish up projects at work before everyone takes off for the holidays, setting up Xmas lights, trying to determine what to get for the family, Xmas parties, trying to use up my vacation before the end of the year (or lose it). I know I am cramming too much, but the end of the year is looming and I feel like I have much to do (promises to keep & miles to go before I sleep).

In past years, I have been actively involved with the Scouts and we did a lot of activities in December (Scout fair, volunteer work) but now that I am on the out, my time is unorganized. The past three years I have participated in a volunteer effort called Elves & More where we gather at the convention center to build bicycles for kids who would not get them otherwise. Pretty impressive gig when you consider that, over 10 days we build somewhere near 25,000 bikes that will be delivered just prior to Christmas. I’m a hands-on kind of guy and love to build things, so I take this opportunity to give back to my community in a small way. I try to make it a point to go every year as part of the holidays. I was not able to go today, but plan to take off from work on Monday and Tuesday to work the program. I have participated in it the past 3 years and, while it is tiring and involves a lot of dirty work, it is one of the most rewarding things I do every year. It humbles me to see the number of bikes we build every year. I only hope it makes a difference in someone’s life.

1 comment:

terri said...

That is absolutely amazing. I love this time of year. Love to see people come together for the good of those less fortunate. The bike project is obviously a HUGE one and I'm sure it makes for very happy Christmases for kids who would otherwise get very little.

We always adopt a couple of families at work and it saddens me to see the things they request. My task this year was to get Target gift cards to be used to purchase undergarments for a 6 and an 8 year old. I put way more money on each card than was necessary for socks and underwear, hoping the kids might get a little something fun too.