28 December 2008

Stuffed

Way too much food.

The problem I have with having everyone over to our house for Christmas (and Thanksgiving) dinner is we always over prepare. We have enough food and drink to feed a platoon and, typically, we wind up with a lot of leftovers (we are still carving our way through the ham and turkey). We try to send stuff home with family but it usually stays in our refrigerator until we finish it off or throw it out. Of course, after 4 days of ham, we start to get creative on how it gets served (ham omelets, quiche, ham chili). Of course, the dog used to be more than willing to help us out with this problem, so we have had to change our plans.

Trying to take it easy for the holidays. I resisted the urge to venture out on Friday for the latest deals and bargains, but I did have several things to return to the stores for refunds. Every year, I always wind up buying gifts for certain family members that I think are great ideas, but come time to wrap them, reality sinks in (what the hell was I thinking) and I wind up giving them something else. This usually leaves me with a few unassigned gifts to either keep or return. I even have 3 gifts from last year that never made it into the rotation. So, yesterday, I decided to venture out to the mall and make with the returns. Wasn’t as bad as I feared. Crowds were moderate, parking was ok, and the return lines were actually very fast and efficient. Of course, I did spend time cruising the local sporting goods store (Academy) while there was a major thunderstorm going on outside, so I picked up another pair of jogging shorts (although I was agonizing over buying some more camo gear). The only mistake I made yesterday was dropping by the local PetSmart. On weekends, they have pet adoptions and I wanted to just take a look at the available dogs they had. Way too soon for me. I think we will eventually get another mutt from the SPCA, but I ain’t ready yet.

Today is kinda another lazy day for us. Woke up late, rainy and cold down here (ok, not as cold as you guys up north, but it was in the mid-40s). Front moved through yesterday afternoon while I was surfing the malls and dropped the temps 10-15 degrees. I have to go back to work tomorrow but have the rest of the week off, so I can live with a one day work week. Besides, it should be quiet at the office and I might actually get some real work done. We (momma & I, son & girlfriend) have tickets to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra this afternoon. We did this last year and made an afternoon of it. I actually scored floor seats this year so it should be fun. I am planning to take the whole crew out for dinner downtown afterwards (I’m thinking eye-talian).

Trying to get back into my running pattern. I did get in a few 5 milers this past week, but the holidays have really put me on hold. 20 days and counting until the Aramco Houston Half Marathon and I need to keep on pace.













I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep...

3 comments:

terri said...

After reading about your relatively painless experience, I may try to brave the return lines today. The kids always end up getting a couple clothing items from relatives who try to guess at their sizes. (Always a bad idea.)

40 degrees down there? Holy cow. That's cold! I thought you guys would be in the 70s. Although, my mom reported 60s from Arizona, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

As far as getting another dog, I'm guessing you'll know when the time is right. Well meaning relatives and friends keep trying to convince us to be open to the possibility of a new dog too, but it just doesn't feel right for us yet either.

agg79 said...

terri -

Just got back from my run. It is hovering around 50 right now, but after a mile you will tend to warm up. We get cold down here, it just doesn't last long. Supposed to get back to the 60-70s by Tuesday.

I agree with you 100% on the dog front. Only you and your family can make that call when you are ready. No dog will ever replace Shelby (or Shadow) but I am willing to open up our house (and hearts) to give another mutt a home. Just not yet...

Abby said...

hmmm... running shorts, camo. Running shorts, camo. Decisions decisions.

I had nothing to return this year - YAY! We did brave the mall yesterday as the kids had Christmas money burning holes in their pockets. It's nearly all gone now.

When the master is ready, the dog will appear.