11 December 2008

Boo-yah!



Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time.


My office is just on the backside of the Johnson Space Center (“Uhh, Houston. We have a problem”), so we share a lot of the same resources/space as the NASA folk do. Today is one of those days it was good to be a neighbor. The Space Shuttle Endeavour was on its journey from California back to Florida and did a flyby on the Johnson Space Center. The Shuttle had stopped for the night in Dallas and they flew south to circle the space center for a while to let the folks in JSC get a chance to see her up close and personal. The benefit of having a 6 story office building overlooking JSC is that we had a front row seat to watching the Endeavour fly by. And I mean a ringside seat. That puppy was flying “slow & low” over the Clear Lake area during the lunch hour. They made several passes around our building while flying only 500 feet off the deck. We were close enough to see the pilots of the 747 as they slowly looped the area. Needless to say, traffic came to a standstill as everyone got out to see it fly over.



Awefrickinsome!

3 comments:

terri said...

Awesome pictures! What an experience! Thanks for sharing it.

Abby said...

WOW, great photos! I can only imagine what it must've been like in person.

I live near the Air Force Academy and get treated to lots of flybys. Sometimes I think those pilots do them just for the benefit of us "little people".

agg79 said...

Terri,

My pleasure. Life is full of suprises when occasionally you look up.

Abby,

Glad to share. I am jealous. As an Army guy, my real goal was to fly helicopters, but never made the cut due to my eyesight. Woulda loved to pilot some of that military hardware. One of my bucket list items is to get my pilot license.