02 October 2008

Ike be gone

One last observation of Ike. I have one friend who just got his power back on yesterday (3+ weeks). You really don't miss electricity until you don't have it and your neighbors do.

Life is slowly returning to normal (or something close to it).

The job is as hectic as usual. Lots of projects to finish up, many meetings, orders to place, supplier trips to make. October just started and I am already booked up solid until Halloween. Oh, well, I once griped about being bored with the job. As the say goes, be careful what you wish for. I am just grateful for the work/postition and don't really have too much to complain about. One of the benefits of being so busy is that it makes the day/week fly by.

Road trip this month! I get to spend a wonderful week in Minneapolis/St Paul visiting with several of my suppliers, performing an audit of one company and attending a convention. Looking forward to seeing Minnesota for the first time, although it is not as glamorous as it sounds. The new job requires me to be on the road more and I have to make a number of supplier audits on a monthly/quarterly basis. While it is nice to visit some of these areas, I am not a big fan of these road trips. I love to travel, but these trips are more of a chore. Long lines at the airports, crowded planes, flight delays, generic hotels, eating too much, no time to see the area. In the last three months, I have been to Tulsa, Orlando, Austin, & Salt Lake City. Nothing like someone in sales, but it is more than I have been used to. Glad to have the opportunity and will live with the minor inconveniences although I am not as young and flexible as I once was. A 4-5 hour plane ride and my knees are squalking. When I go, I do try to max out the opportunity and get some running in and see the local area, but when you travel with others, it is hard to get them on your agenda. Typically wind up eating big meals and drinking scotch at the bar. Prefer to travel alone so I am on my own agenda. 3 years back I went to Charlotte for a small software convention and some training. Arrived late Friday and sat in class for most of Saturday. Had most of Sunday open before the convention and I wound up taking the car and heading west towards Kentucky. Tried to make it to GSMNP (Great Smokey Mountain National Park) but it was too far to make in one afternoon. Wound up touring the countryside taking pictures (amatuer photographer) of various scenery. Stumbled across an antique tractor show somewhere in east SC. I'm a geek for antique car shows/swap meets and this seemed right up my alley. Great little show in a very small town put on by the locals and the boy scout troop. All sorts of tractors from the small Allis-Chalmers, Farmalls & Fords to some very old John Deeres. Totally unplanned & off the books but I had a blast. Life is full of surprises and opportunities if you keep your eyes open.

Chance favors the prepared mind...

4 comments:

terri said...

Ummm.. Hello? You're going to be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? We're you going to at least wave at me as you pass through?

Be warned... when I went for my run this morning, it was 39 degrees. High today is 65. I think we might see 70s next week, but MN is unpredictable. Bring some long sleeves.

terri said...

And I forgot to mention... you are currently tied for first place on my meme contest. If you win, maybe I could deliver your prize in person when you visit!

agg79 said...

OMG!
Totally swagged the contest.
I liked the theme tho. Makes people really sit up & pay attention to your notes.

Thought about blogging you for a good place to eat (or drink) in the area but did not want to seem like some sort of weirdo, stalker guy (ok, I have been called weird, but she deserved it). Actually have a gift was going to send to you after your stint in the hospital recently.

terri said...

So we should consider meeting in person!