11 October 2008

'Bout time



Never thought the weekend would get here. Been a hell of a week and I am planning to enjoy the weekend relaxing around the hacienda. After all of the challenges this week has presented, I have no major plans this weekend. Got the a/c in the truck fixed (there goes my flat panel tv this fall), fixed the coffe pot, and bought some new cordless phones on sale. Actually, the new phones are neat. Lots of new features, longer range, battery lasts longer, and cost less than the original phone I replaced. One thing to note, though. Don't let yourself become too dependant upon technology. Hurricane Ike taugh a lot of people lessons in being prepared and improvising. When the power went out, those wonderful cordless phones are as useful as brick. I have held on to one of our old Trimline phones from years back and was able to plug in a talk. With a widespread power outage in the entire Houston area, even the cell phones were unuseable (no power to the cell towers), so we relied on the old-fashioned land lines. Even with the devastation of the hurricane, the phone system was still functional. BTW - the cable (Comcast) went down with the power, so anyone with Comcast phone service had nothing as well.


Was going to try & go to the football game in College Station this weekend, but the trailer still has a leak and I really need to get ready for my road trip next week to the twin cities. May try to fix the lead and take care of a few chores while listening to the game. Beautiful, low key weekends are the best. Like Terri, sometimes we must appreciate/enjoy what blessings we have. Life's too short to spend it whining all of the time.

Besides, I just scored 4 tickets on the floor to TSO (Tran-Siberian Orchestra) in December for my wife & I and my son & his girlfriend. We have made this an annual Christmas event while they are home from college.



Chance favors the prepared mind...

1 comment:

terri said...

Trans Siberian Orchesta... how fun!

We too have always kept a regular corded phone on hand for times when the power might go out. Learned that lesson years ago when the neighbors came over to use our phone during an outage.