12 November 2013

On call

I've got to admit that I am somewhat distracted of late.  Oh sure, work is keeping me hopping, dogs are just as needy, things to be done, reports to be written.  But we are trying to juggle a whole different issue issue altogether.  My SIL (sister-in-law) went in for surgery early this morning.  Remember her?  Something about a new couch/chair recently?  The kidney doctor?  The one with a herd of cats?  

She has been diagnosed with cancer of the appendix.  Been feeling pretty lousy lately and finally got checked out and got the news a few weeks ago.  She has been preparing herself for this procedure for a while, but that's a hard diagnosis for anyone to swallow. This procedure will remove the tumor and the appendix and treat the area locally with chemo.  A VERY long procedure.  Projected to last from 10-12 hours.  Heck, my surgery 6 years ago was barely over an hour, I cannot even imagine going under for that long.  Some of my plane trips haven't been that long.  We are on watch at the hospital for the duration.  I am trying to serve as the anchor and instill some calm, this but my wife is really worried over her sister.  Waiting hours in a hospital waiting room really is not my cup of tea.  

3 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Wow. 10-12 hour procedure? That's tough on EVERYbody.
Being an anchor is an important job, and I'm sure your wife is very appreciative. Best wishes to your SIL for a speedy recovery. I'm guessing by now the surgery is over. Certainly hope things went well. I'll be thinking about you all.

terri said...

Wow, that sounds pretty scary. I hope all ends up okay for your sister in law.

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh my goodness, Agg! I am so sorry to hear this terrible news.

[Obviously, I already read that she made it through the surgery - but still - how scary!]