13 November 2013

On the road to recovery

Things are going well.  The doc finally wrapped up the procedure around 2100 last night.  That makes for one long damn day. SIL was rolled into the OR at 0645 to start hooking her up to all sorts of tubes and equipment.  The actual surgery started at 0800 and they rolled her out to ICU around 2100.  By my math, that is 13 hours.  Imagine being on the table for that long.  Damn.  It didn't take me that long to fly to London in September.  I am trying to picture how the OR team handled it.  Did they get a smoke break?  What about eating? And let's not even stop to consider potty breaks.  

Still, it came out well.  Wife got to see SIL after the procedure before they rolled her to the ICU.  She was doing well, just groggy.  She should be moved to her own room later today.  She'll be in the hospital for the next two weeks to recover and then home for several weeks to get her strength back.  Will be a while before she is able to do any twerking.


Abby said...

Thanks for that update. Cancer of the appendix? I guess nothing is safe. That's a long procedure for everyone involved. Thoughts and prayers to you, Mrs. Agg and her sis.

ShadowRun300 said...

I was wondering too how the OR team handled it. I would hope they'd take breaks or switch off or something.
Glad to hear your SIL came out of it okay. Sounds like a long recovery time, but I would think your wife feels a little more at ease now that she's awake again.
Hope all continues to go well. Keep us updated!

Rock Chef said...

Hope everything goes ok - thinking of you all.

terri said...

So glad to hear things went well. That is SUCH a long time to be in surgery. With the appendix, you wouldn't think things would be that complicated. Praying for a speedy recovery.

lotta joy said...

The same ones don't remain for the entire time. I had three surgeries within five months, lasting that long EACH. I just want you to know that anesthesia doesn't leave the brain as quickly after 13 hours as it does during faster surgeries. She'll have "brain fag" for months.

meleah rebeccah said...

Um - OMG - WHAT?

I'm only blogging on Sundays, so CLEARLY I've missed something.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your SIL was in surgery for so long. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

*races backwards to read your other entries*