13 June 2012

Running for a cause

Here I go again.  Talking myself into things when I should know better.   


Nowadays, everybody is holding runs/events for all sorts of fundraisers.  Almost every weekend you could don your shoes and find a 5 or 10 k run for some charity or cause.  Last year, I stumbled across a local little charity run called the Dad's Day 5K.  This is an annual 5K run held on the Saturday before Father's Day.  The primary cause for this event (to coincide with Father's Day) is to promote awareness of prostate cancer.  I never knew of this gig until last year and this year is lucky 13th.  Somehow, I talked myself into doing it again this year.   




The logo for the run is:  Save the Males




Pretty interesting crowd.  Lots of folks turn out for various reasons.  A lot of companies partner up to sponsor the event (Marathon, Hess, Randall's, United, Baker Hughes).  Several teams are organized to run the event along company/family lines.  Trophies are awarded for fasted time, oldest runners, largest groups.  Two of the largest group were family based.  One family had over 25 people (young & old) participate in honor of the dad who was a prostate cancer survivor.  




It's an easy, flat course.  A simple down and back 5k along the downtown streets.  The biggest challenge will be that, at race time (0800) the temps will be hovering around the mid 80s with a humidity level of over 75% (Can you say "sweating buckets"?).  Like last year, I am in an "elite" class of runners - ones who are prostate cancer survivors. It felt kinda strange/weird to be in that small of a group.  For the first time in like EVER, I actually came in the top 5 of my bracket.  This year I hope to improve on that ranking and might actually beat that 67 year old guy who took 1st place last year.  




Watch your back Bernie.  You're goin' down like a sweet muffin.  

8 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

What a great cause! Other than the temperatures, this sounds like a great race to be a part of! Running with other runners is exciting enough, but to run with other cancer survivors and their supporters would be even more uplifting.
As for Bernie...
well, he's goin' down....
after all, he is a year older now....

agg79 said...

Thanks. The biggest challenge (for me) will be the heat and humidity. As for Bernie, he may have an "accident" at the starting gun, but you didn't hear that from me...

ShadowRun300 said...

Mum's the word...

Rock Chef said...

Looks like Bernie thinks he can take you again :-)

Have fun!

terri said...

Goin' down like a sweet muffin? Hahaha! Never heard that before, but you can bet I'll use it now!

This is a great cause. I haven't felt motivated to run any formal races (and 5K would be about the only one I could even consider) but I like the idea of running for a cause. A friend who is a breast cancer survivor recently ran a 5K for breast cancer awareness.

Maybe I will too...

Abby said...

Ooh, have fun! What a great cause, but be careful in that weather. Bernie's probably over confident, you've got this one.

meleah rebeccah said...

what a wonderful cause, and I will be routing for you from over here!

PS: "down like a sweet muffin" is awesomeness. And I may have to borrow it from you!

Rock Chef said...

So, how did it go?

Did Bernie eat your dust?