22 June 2010

Welcome to Texas summer. Hot days, warm nights. A/C running nonstop.

This weekend started out in the low 80s and was pegging 98 each day.  Was out trying to run at noon yesterday when it was near 92.

I took both dogs to the dog part Sunday to let them cavort and swim in the pond and there wasn't anybody there. I don't think I have ever gone to the dog park where wasn't some hyperactive lab chasing balls in the pond or a horny German Shepard. Was kind of strange that the two had the entire park to themselves for a while. OF course, it was sweltering in the shade so I bet the smart people were staying home in the a/c. Claire finally got in the pond and started swimming, but Grayson still only goes in up to his chest. Wore out both dogs, but they had a blast. Claire's getting a bit shaggy and I am going to take her in this week for a trim. Mom & I are debating how much to cut off and she may wind up with a Chihuahua hairstyle. I may post before & after picts.

Father's Day was pretty low key. I talked with my dad out in Wyoming for a good long while. They are doing well and enjoying their rally. Temps are way better than down here. My son called me several times to wish me a happy Father's Day, but he was busy moving into his new temporary house. I would have been happy to lend a hand (or back), but glad I wasn't tied into that deal this time (Been there. Done that.).

I have always found Father's Day (from my perspective) to be out of sync with my plans. Over the past 12 years, we've never been home for Father's Day. Ever since we joined the scouts, we have been out on the trail or in camp during during Father's Day. Many times we are either on the way to or coming home from camp. Unlike Mother's Day, we never planned campouts or held activities on that weekend. A few years back, as the troop camping coordinator, I made the mistake of booking a campout over Mother's Day (no choice - all other weekends/camps were booked) and I'm still getting hate mail over that one. Father's Day doesn't quite seem to have the same limitations and I prefer it that way. Probably one of the most memorable ones was back in 2004 when we were on the trail at Philmont. We were 6 days into a 12 day expedition covering an 80 mile trek of the northern New Mexico mountains. Father's Day found us camped out on Mount Phillips at 11,900 feet eating freeze dried lasagna and pemmican bars. I was one of 4 dads on the crew of 12 boys and each one of the boys came up and wished us a happy Father's Day. One wanted to borrow my cell phone to call his dad back in Texas  (Sorry, Brad, but lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part).  Besides, I'm not carrying a phone all over the Sangre de Christo Mountains for 12 days just so someone can call home to momma.

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Fathers Day is much more low-key over here - about the only special thing that you see is a bunch of CDs with old rock songs on them...

terri said...

Hallmark Holidays are overrated anyway. I hate that we all feel obligated to stop everything to honor a holiday that just continues to line their pockets.

meleah rebeccah said...

My father has NEVER been able to spend father's day HIS way! This year he was stuck building shelves and handling home repairs when all he wanted was to go rafting and play tennis.