26 March 2010

Up to no good

Been another busy week.

Junior was home on spring break all last week and left on Sunday to go back to school. Was great to have him here, even if for a short while. Even though he is 3 hours away from home, with all of today's technology, he is a simple e-mail/text message/phone call away. We actually converse with him on a regular basis way more that we did when we were in college many moons ago. It is good to have that kind of close communication with him, even if it electronic. Still, we get so much more when he is home. We are finally figuring out what his plans are for summer this year. Staying in Austin, working for a small software company. After working for da man the previous summers (Microsoft last summer), this is more of a smaller venture. Still not sure where his career will land him, but I no longer worry that he will not be able to find his niche in life. The boy has a level head and pretty keen bead on life at this point. Don't know where he got that from.

Dog update - took both dogs into the shop on Monday. Grayson was in to get his teeth cleaned. We have it nice with our dentist/hygienists. To clean dogs' teeth (and cats I imagine), they have to sedate the dog (gee, I wonder why) for the process. That makes them a bit groggy afterwards. This is the first time we have done it for our dogs, so I am not if it is worth it, but he does have a some nice gleaming fangs now. Claire went in for HW treatment round 2. They kept her overnight to make sure there were no problems. I picked her up Tuesday and she is a bit slow/tired. 4 more weeks of restricted duty before she can cut loose. Already she is feeling better and wants to play with Grayson. She is depressed right now because she doesn't get to go on the walk when I take Grayson out (sits by the back door waiting for us to return), but I explained it was "doctor's orders". Still, she is in good spirits and doing well.

Played golf on Monday. Actually it was a charity tournament for the company. Since my company provides a device for the treatment of Epilepsy, we are big time supporters of the Epilepsy Foundation. We are always holding raffles or fundraisers to collect money for the foundation. Every year in spring, we participate in the annual Epilepsy walk and, through all of these drives, we have typically been able to raise some serious coin for the cause. Not to be a noodge, but sometimes is is annoying to be barraged with all of the different fundraisers at the office, but it is for a good cause. Next week is the company wide garage sale. Anyway, we organized a golf tournament at the local country club. I haven't played in about 4 years but, since I have been "encouraging" my suppliers to participate, I felt slightly obligated to play along with them. Played with one of my suppliers and I played about as lousy as I remembered. Having a dislocated shoulder from last year did not improve my game, but it did not make it any worse. I used to play golf years ago, but life got in the way (family, scouts, work, school, band) and I fell out of the habit. I never was a good player and just never could improve my game so I wasn't gunning to get back into the game. I held my own, but definitely was not the A (or B) player in the foursome.

Tried to work on the yard last weekend, but a front blew in around 1100 and I just about drowned in the back yard. Ever try to mow a yard in a downpour? Kinda hard to pick up the leaves that way. Spent the rest of the day trying to stay dry and deal with typical adult chores (vehicle registrations, depositing checks, dropping off payments, picking up supplies/dog food). Was busy, but in a good way.

And, oh, yeah, somewhere along the way I had another birthday. Spent a part of the day on Sunday helping my son prep to leave back to school and then we all migrated over the the parent's house for dinner/birthday pie (butterscotch). There's a story there that I will save for a later blog, but suffice it to say, the family tradition for birthdays and celebrations has been butterscotch pies. I am still amazed that my poor old 87 year old mother makes them the same way she did when we were pups. Not only did she do a butterscotch pie, but she did a chocolate one as well. My older brother (his birthday is next week but he is on the road) and I enjoyed the pies. Pretty low key affair, but we did take cell phone pictures of the pie and send it to the middle brother in Seattle just to make him jealous.



I'll keep an eye on it for you! Trust me!

3 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Happy birthday!

Love the photo - the pie is clearly in safe paws...

meleah rebeccah said...

OMG!! WHAT?

Happy HAPPY Happiest Birthday!!!!

[insert balloons and cake]

PS: I am god-awful at the game of golf, but since I am "Doing Things Differently" and since it's FREE for me to play? I've been at it for two weekends in a row. And seriously, just ONE good shot makes me want to get better at the game. But OHMYZOD it's so frustrating when I MISS THE BALL completely!

terri said...

Happy Birthday! The pie looks delicious! What a great tradition.