24 November 2009

Short week

I am a fan of short weeks (sort of).

A lot of people have taken off for the holidays and I am ususally wind up being one of the "last ones out" to take care of the place before we close up for a few days. With family in town and my son in school until Wednesday, we don't need to go out of town like many people do. It is nice to stay home for the holidays and play catch up on chores, put up lights, eat way too much, brave the crowds on Black Friday, watch a number of games, hit the auto show, get in some hunting. Even with everyone coming over on Thursday to my place, it still gives me time to work on some projects around here.

I normally like having the quiet time at the office to finish off some reports and make headway on several projects, but, typically something breaks or someone has an emergency shipment/problem and I wind up getting sucked into helping them. The one good thing is most of the big chiefs are gone so the atmosphere is a bit more relaxed (but not much). We had our company Thanksgiving dinner last week. A lot more mundane than previous years (less hoopla, fewer gifts), but it was fun nonetheless. In the old regime, we used to have a Christmas party for the entire company in one of the large hotels in downtown Houston. Very nice affair with massive amounts of food and liquor and a ton of door prizes. Nothing like seeing your CEO dressed up like Santa Claus or Elvis or wearing a genuine kilt. The guy was always a wee bit over the top at times, but at least it was amusing to watch him. At least the company is doing pretty well and we can celebrate the holidays on a high note. Another year I did NOT win the prize....

Only two more days until Thanksgiving.
Watch your giblets...

3 comments:

terri said...

I like the short week too. Other than spending Thanksgiving at the in-laws' house, I plan to hole up at home, decorate the tree and just relax! I won't shop on Black Friday. No way.

Rock Chef said...

I love short weeks! Have a great Thanksgiving!

I love the sound of Black Friday - sounds like the sort of day where I like to just wander through the town and watch everyone else panic!

meleah rebeccah said...

I cant brave the Black Friday holiday shopping extravaganza like you can, NO WAY!

I'm glad to hear you will be enjoying your holiday at home, sounds like you have a lot planned {eating, hunting and watching sports}!

Happy Thanksgiving!