22 November 2009

Bless your heart


I got the dog blessed this afternoon, but the camera died on me and I only got off a few crappy let's not look at the camera shots. So I stole one from the vault back when I was repacking my hunting gear. The service was as chaotic as you'd expect. Lots & lots of dogs of various breeds, a few nervous cats, a pair of box turtles, one parrot, one iguana, and a small horse. Grayson had a good time, although I think he was miffed at me cause I would not let him off leash to "mingle". He did add his voice to the children's choir, tho. I think he enjoyed the car ride and stopping by the storage yard to drop off a few things in the trailer (he got to run amok with the dogs in the yard). This dog has it pretty darn good.


Dropped by the parent's house after the blessing. They just got back from the weekend game and they were cleaning up their trailer and putting their gear away. They are pretty damn spry for a couple of 87 year olds who have been married for 64+ years. My parents retired right after I graduated from college and have been travelling the country in their Airstream. I am grateful that my folks have had the spirit and energy and ability to stay active for so long. Many people have moved into nursing homes or have been limited in their activities and I am glad that my parents have been able to enjoy their golden years. Of course, these kids have never slowed down a lick (they organized the family cruise last year at this time) and they are trying to convince us to spend a week with them in February in Maui with my Seattle brother. Life around the hacienda is never dull and we will be glad to celebrate the holidays with them on Thursday.

3 comments:

terri said...

I'm sure Grayson had trouble understanding why he wasn't allowed to mingle with such creatures as the iguana and the horse. The cats were probably grateful for your decision to keep him leashed.

Your parents do seem awfully energetic for their age. Good for them! I only hope I'll feel as good at that age. My parents, at 69, aren't nearly as active as yours sound.

Rock Chef said...

A pet blessing? Brilliant!

Your mom and dad sound great - 64 years? Wow! They are so lucky to be that active at that age - but I think a lot of it is attitude. Long my they continue with their travels.

Abby said...

God bless the box turtles!

Good for your young-at-heart parents! My parents are 85 and 81. They don't do much anymore, but they still live independently and I'm just glad to still have them around.