10 February 2011

Brrrr

Still sick.

Fever's gone, but I've still got some nasty hacking old man type of cough that I just cannot seem to kick.  I feel way better than last week, but not back to neutral, yet.

Was interesting to be in Packer Country last week before the big game. Everyone was glued to their TVs watching all the pre game hoop-la. Given their current weather, they found all the weather problems down in Dallas amusing. As the defacto representative from the Lone Star State, I was requested to provide some first hand intel to the situation in Arlington. As my earlier missive explained, we don't do cold weather too well. When the big ice storm of 2011 hit Dallas-Fort Worth, it basically shut down most of the city. Freeways were a war zone, DFW airport closed down, schools closed, pipes froze, etc. There ain't a lot of snow plows and salt trucks in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Down further south in San Antonio and Houston, we've only got pictures of snow plows. So when Jack Frost comes to town, the whole place boards up. The news channels go into major panic mode. (Remember the 3Ps!!!  Plants, Pipes, Pets!). They make it sound like we are preparing for Armageddon. The only thing that gets more attention is when a Hurricane rolls up in the Gulf. I try to remind people that, sure tonight may get down to 24-28 degrees, but, by Saturday it is supposed to be in the 50s and we should be playing with 70s by next week. Put a coat on, wear a hat and cowboy up.

Stole this picture from a friend's FB page - but it fits the mood.




4 comments:

terri said...

You're still sick? I'm sorry! Hope you feel better soon.

I love the freeway sign! That would work here too, and would be especially funny because we're supposed to know how to deal with snow, but every time we get some more, somebody drives like they've never seen it before.

Rock Chef said...

Well in theory the British should be ready to deal with bad weather - we talk about it all the time! But giveus 2inches of snow and it all comes to a standstill. This winter we had over a foot of snow at times, so it was even worse! Thank God we don't get ice storms...

meleah rebeccah said...

Yikes. Im sorry you're still not feeling well. That stinks. But that photo? That photo is HILARIOUS. I love it! I might steal it from you and post it on my Facebook Page the next time it snows here!

Abby said...

Well, I hope you're over the hump with your sickness. All that travelling, I'm sure, didn't help. Love the photo!