20 September 2009

Junk yard dog

Ever done something you haven't done in years and thoroughly enjoyed it?


I used to do a lot of my auto repairs on my stable of vehicles. Part because I am a hands on kind of person and part because I am a bit of a tightwad and hate to spend mega bucks for a job I can do in my garage. I've got the tools & skills to do some of the minor vehicle repairs. Over the past few decades, I've done a number of brake jobs, repaired windows, replaced many batteries/water pumps/radiators/shocks/gas tank, done tune ups, repaired a clutch, and even rebuilt a carburetor (that's a complex chore). I've busted many a knuckle or scraped my hands pulling parts off or putting them back in place. I've been in grease and grime up to my shoulders trying to fix one of my herd. More than once I've busted my head on the hood of a car and let loose a few colorful adjectives (Shadow didn't hang around those times). The past few years, I've been busy & have not had time to work in my garage as much as I used to. However, necessity is the mother of invention and I wound up back in my garage for a few repairs.


All of my wheels are of older vintage (we tend to keep our cars longer) and they are getting up in the mileage. Like the rest of us, as they get older, they tend to have problems that can only be addressed with copious amounts of money and/or a good mechanic. The driver's seat in the land barge has had problems with the seat track mechanism for a while. Momma cannot sit in it because the track gears are stripped out and you cannot move the seat forward. Had it priced out at the dealer and it could run from $650 to $1000 to fix. Being a fiscally minded person (translation: cheap a%%), I balked at those prices and chose to live with the issue. However, yesterday I embarked on a mission to hit several junk yards in search of a new motor/seat out of a wrecked truck. Spent about 4-5 hours on the north side of town in a couple of junk yards combing over wrecks looking for a working replacement. After several possible solutions, I finally found a seat track and motor assembly that I was able to disassemble and test out. Sure, it is a bit rusty and needs some cleaning, but it works well and is far less expensive than the repair shop would charge. This morning's challenge is to install it on the land barge (Hope this will is only a 2 beer job). The fun part (for me) was combing through all of the wrecks to find parts I can use on any of my vehicles. I used to do that many years ago in my youth. Sure it was hot, there were a gazillion mosquitos, got grease & grime up to my eyebrows.

Need a new door handle for that 95 Bronco? How about the ash tray from your 99 Cadillac? The backseat from a 03 Expedtion? You can pretty much find anything if you are willing to dig.

3 comments:

terri said...

Car repairs are one of the few things that don't get handled at home around here. My hubby is a very handy guy, but cars are the one thing he can't do. You're lucky you have that skill. I know it can save you tons of money. And it doesn't hurt that you get satisfaction out of this kind of work either.

Rock Chef said...

We don't have a car,but my wife has made it her mission to do as much of the garden as possible using salvaged stuff - rebuilt fence panels,rescued paving slabs, pots etc. Last year she fenced in our entire front garden for under £10 - the cost of the hinges for the gate! She loves the challenge.

Abby said...

This brings back memories. I think my hometown had more junkyard area per capita than it did houses!

I love the "bargains" to be had there. Happy hunting!